No Sound On Pro-433

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trunkerman63

I just got a GRECOM 600 Digital Scanner, and no longer use the 433 as my main scanner.

All the time I had it set up, I had a speaker connected to the back plug. It was doing fine. Now since I moved the 433 into the computer room with me, I was going to use it as a back up radio, just use the internal speaker. Not a sound coming out of the radio. I don't know what happened. I've loosened the squelch to be sure I get some kind of hash or sound, pecked around on it, even jiggled a toothpick up in all sound outputs to be sure something wasn't stuck. No sound. It's gone.

Are these radios notorious for this kind of audio loss?

Thanks

OCO

Does the external speaker still work? It could be the jack, which disconnects the internal speaker when you plug the external in, either has some corrosion in it or the internal contacts got bent. I'd bet on corrosion in the pair of contacts that close when the external plug is pulled out.

T

trunkerman63

I can sure check that. I don't have another speaker, but will try some stuff. That plug was in there for a long time. I don't doubt there is some corrosion.

Thanks

T

trunkerman63

Not having another extension speaker or wire, nothing I can do. I just jiggled another toothpick up in there, even a small end of a nail, it won't turn anything loose. I looked in there with a flashlight, but could hardly see the connecting end, but on the jacks on the front of the radio, they are bright and shiny. Guess I'm just without sound.

DickH

Not having another extension speaker or wire, nothing I can do. I just jiggled another toothpick up in there, even a small end of a nail, it won't turn anything loose. I looked in there with a flashlight, but could hardly see the connecting end, but on the jacks on the front of the radio, they are bright and shiny. Guess I'm just without sound.

Take it back to where you can plug the speaker in, then put the plug in and out several times. If there's a problem in the jack, that might fix it.

OCO

Take it back to where you can plug the speaker in, then put the plug in and out several times. If there's a problem in the jack, that might fix it.

Ya know, after 40 years in IT, you'd think I'd be able to ask the right question...:lol:

OCO

Is there also a 1/4 " headphone jack on the front panel? That could also be the problem, same test routine....

T

trunkerman63

Yep, I tried it too. When I plugged it into the wire on the amp, I heard a pop when I turned it on, but I didn't carry the power adapter with me. It may be it will still talk out the jacks but not internally. Suspecting a speaker problem now.

DickH

Yep, I tried it too. When I plugged it into the wire on the amp, I heard a pop when I turned it on, but I didn't carry the power adapter with me. It may be it will still talk out the jacks but not internally. Suspecting a speaker problem now.

Not much left to do but to take the cover off and check to be sure the speaker wires are not broken. If they look OK and you have an Ohm meter, you can disconnect one speaker wire and see if you have continuity through the speaker coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.