No warm fuzzy feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA1LMC

Im getting ready to buy one..how do you know if the radio will come with a hum or not,I have heard above a certain serial number there is no hum?

The only way to know is by serial numbers. But that doesn't help since you don't know if the dealer's stock is old. The SDS200 is pretty but I need one that will decode p25 simulcast. I am borrowing a friends BCD536HP and it is doing a terrific job. one bad thing about the SDS200 is the Ethernet connector. It should have gone in the back since with an ethernet cable plugged in, it makes access to the squelch control difficult if you have big fingers. I will wait for the SDS200 REV 34!

WA1LMC

Well, it was not a big deal to fix the hum, for even me. I agree 100% that you shouldn't have to fix it yourself.

I've enjoyed my renewed interest in amateur radio after a long hiatus. AMSAT has sent new radios to the ISS, they'll be operational late this year :)

ad astra

i like the image of the old ELectra Bearcat iII I still have my old Bearcat 101 and after 46 years, it held it's programming and still works!! Good old american workmanship!

baj76

Uniden fanboy
my SDS200 decodes p25 simulcast GREAT....I only monitor Ohio MARCS p25

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The only way to know is by serial numbers. But that doesn't help since you don't know if the dealer's stock is old. The SDS200 is pretty but I need one that will decode p25 simulcast. I am borrowing a friends BCD536HP and it is doing a terrific job. one bad thing about the SDS200 is the Ethernet connector. It should have gone in the back since with an ethernet cable plugged in, it makes access to the squelch control difficult if you have big fingers. I will wait for the SDS200 REV 34!
My latest 200 came from Bearcat Warehouse. No issues.
So many people commenting and complaining about a product they don't own.
I never saw the validity in this point of view. Ownership is not required for an opinion. For example, I don’t think the Unication is a good series of pagers (for me) because their Bluetooth implementation is old and has issues with some newer devices.

mancow

Database Admin
Oh BS. Lots of Moto crap have audio artifacts and pops on squech opening. Must don't realize it because it's used in a PS mobile environment where nobody will ever notice. The Bendix Kings were terrible with the annoying pops too.

The SDS is fine with the firmware audio mute option. Just set it and forget it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Oh BS. Lots of Moto crap have audio artifacts and pops on squech opening.
The APX 7000 is a glaring example of the not-so-subtle popping whenever the audio amp comes to life with every transmission. The issue was present in the original design from 2009, and was never fixed. So yeah, Motorola is hardly the standard bearer when it comes to expensive flagship products that suffer from audio issues. :rolleyes:

dougjgray

I am curious a about the purpose of these types of uniden bashing threads, are they to make me feel bad because i bought a 200. Though my 200 is the best scanner i have owned. Seems to me if they dont like a product dont buy it or spend your efforts more productively contacting uniden with your complaints

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have never thought of a scanner giving me a "warm fuzzy feeling." If I wanted that, I think I'd get a puppy. At any rate, I own an HP1, HP2, 396, 436 and SDS100 and I've always been completely satisfied. I had a clock problem with the 436 but they fixed it fast and free.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The APX 7000 is a glaring example of the not-so-subtle popping whenever the audio amp comes to life with every transmission. The issue was present in the original design from 2009, and was never fixed. So yeah, Motorola is hardly the standard bearer when it comes to expensive flagship products that suffer from audio issues. :rolleyes:
I know right. We bought 25 APX7000s in 2015 before the 8000 was available for order. The audio PA popping is absurd. A $6500 radio with a defect like this that never got resolved because it most likely required a hardware change and they just let it ride. Or how about the Jedi microphonics issue that plagued Jedis with scratchy transmit audio? Or the analog Saber with it's RF feedback issue?

Yeah, Motorola six-sigma quality control at it's finest. But damn Uniden! (FWIW my SDS200 stays on 24/7 and never has any issue)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
One bad thing about the SDS200 is the Ethernet connector. It should have gone in the back since with an Ethernet cable plugged in, it makes access to the squelch control difficult if you have big fingers.

There's a solution for that:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
There's a solution for that:
Now it blocks the Micro USB connector and I don’t believe that helps with the squelch knob.

I see no benefit to having the RJ45 jack on the front.

mancow

Database Admin
I wish the USB A port on the front provided normal power and serial data. For whatever reason mine reads 4.8 volts and is inadequate for a remote display power source.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Now it blocks the Micro USB connector and I don’t believe that helps with the squelch knob.

I see no benefit to having the RJ45 jack on the front.

I have really large hands! The Micro USB never gets in the way. From the center of the squelch knob to the top of the Micro USB connector is 1.125", plenty of room unless your adjusting the squelch control while wearing an oven mitt! With regards to the RJ45 port, a lot of scanners are rack mounted these days and full access to ports on the front could become a necessity in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.