No warm fuzzy feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA1LMC

i was planning on purchasing an SDR200 from Ham Radio Outlet on Monday (5/4/2020) but have changed my mind. I will live with my 996P2 until UNIDEN takes responsibility for marketing a product that clearly was not ready for prime time. The fix for the hum problem is ac heap patch to compensate for an engineering fubar. As a retired Motorola FTR, if I fixed a radio doing this, I would have been canned! To UNIDEN, take your lumps and fix the problem otherwise your reputation will not be much better that the cheap competition. And if I do decide to buy, it may be a BCD536HP. My friend let me borrow his BCD536 and so far, it is impressive!

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
Im getting ready to buy one..how do you know if the radio will come with a hum or not,I have heard above a certain serial number there is no hum?

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
I read somewhere about 4 months ago that people buying the scanner with serial numbers above 2000 had no problems with hum or light flicker.

15plus1

i was planning on purchasing an SDR200 from Ham Radio Outlet on Monday (5/4/2020) but have changed my mind. I will live with my 996P2 until UNIDEN takes responsibility for marketing a product that clearly was not ready for prime time. The fix for the hum problem is ac heap patch to compensate for an engineering fubar. As a retired Motorola FTR, if I fixed a radio doing this, I would have been canned! To UNIDEN, take your lumps and fix the problem otherwise your reputation will not be much better that the cheap competition. And if I do decide to buy, it may be a BCD536HP. My friend let me borrow his BCD536 and so far, it is impressive!
Put on your flame proof pants !! Here it comes !

Saint

Premium Subscriber
They have not bothered to fix the issues with the sds100 Scanner, I think they will probably come out with some new scanners instead of fixing these problems, that's the way they do business now.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Excellent statement. I did consider a SDS200 at one time. No reason to accept issues on an expensive piece of electronics. Already own a 436 for past few years. Been great. Considering a 536 but hard to find and the cost is just nuts. For now, I will stick with what I have!

baj76

Uniden fanboy
I hate to say it, But when you buy a SDS Scanner, You are rolling the dice, Some are winners and some are loser , Just my opinion

BTW my SDS100 is a winner, Ive had it almost 3 years without any problems, Time will tell on my 200 ..I just got it yesterday

N4DJC

Well, it was not a big deal to fix the hum, for even me. I agree 100% that you shouldn't have to fix it yourself.

I've enjoyed my renewed interest in amateur radio after a long hiatus. AMSAT has sent new radios to the ISS, they'll be operational late this year :)

ad astra

Status
Not open for further replies.