No warm fuzzy feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
OK I mis read and thought it was a tweak for simulcast distortion on sds200. So IFX is best used on VHF conventional freqs? I dont use any conventional freqs on my sds200, just a 4 site system P25. I havent even checked out conventional freq reception on this rig yet.
Yep that's correct, VHF and UHF conventional.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I was experimenting with search yesterday and found this radio will receive FM broadcasts! I don't need that option, but I thought it was funny to have a scanner that receives that band.

Owner's manual, page 53 lists the frequency ranges of the SDS200:

FMB​
100​
FM Broadcast

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I was experimenting with search yesterday and found this radio will receive FM broadcasts! I don't need that option, but I thought it was funny to have a scanner that receives that band.
Oh yes, common with the Unidens.

Ubbe

So IFX is best used on VHF conventional freqs?
It applies to all system types and frequency bands. It's a function that affects the interferencies that you might experiance using certain frequencies. Applying IFX could move the interferencies to other frequencies where they do not disturb your reception.

It could be that another transmitter 300KHz away from you scanned frequency are totally blocking your reception of that frequency. Applying IFX could move the sensitive interfere window 400KHz away where it hopefully are no transmitters that can interfere. It's a guessing game if it will help or not, the same with the different filter settings. It's unpredictable and all settings have to be tested if you have a problem with one or more frequencies. It's a result of the receiver technology being used to be able to receive simulcast system, but will also increase the receivers probability to be interfered in a negative way by other systems frequencies.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
OK I mis read and thought it was a tweak for simulcast distortion on sds200.

There is no such thing as simulcast distortion with the SDS models, the design of the SDS receiver design is immune to simulcast decoding issues found in conventional receivers.

So IFX is best used on VHF conventional freqs? I dont use any conventional freqs on my sds200, just a 4 site system P25. I havent even checked out conventional freq reception on this rig yet.

IFX doesn't give a crap about the modulation type or digital format used by a channel. It's a way to get rid of images caused by adjacent frequency interference, regardless of frequency band, modulation type, or digital format.

Your reception problem has nothing to do with simulcast. It's being caused by a transmission on a nearby frequency bleeding over to the frequency you're trying to monitor. IFX and the filter settings are different ways to get rid of the interfering signal.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
It applies to all system types and frequency bands. It's a function that affects the interferencies that you might experiance using certain frequencies. Applying IFX could move the interferencies to other frequencies where they do not disturb your reception.

It could be that another transmitter 300KHz away from you scanned frequency are totally blocking your reception of that frequency. Applying IFX could move the sensitive interfere window 400KHz away where it hopefully are no transmitters that can interfere. It's a guessing game if it will help or not, the same with the different filter settings. It's unpredictable and all settings have to be tested if you have a problem with one or more frequencies. It's a result of the receiver technology being used to be able to receive simulcast system, but will also increase the receivers probability to be interfered in a negative way by other systems frequencies.

/Ubbe
OK let me get this right.....IFX works on ANY freq, band, system etc......so if I PAUSE on a channel by pressing "CHANNEL" button on front of radio (sds200) then press "PUSH/FUNC" and "7" on keypad, all I get is 3 rapid beeps, like an error code. I dont see an indication of IFX at all.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
OK let me get this right.....IFX works on ANY freq, band, system etc......so if I PAUSE on a channel by pressing "CHANNEL" button on front of radio (sds200) then press "PUSH/FUNC" and "7" on keypad, all I get is 3 rapid beeps, like an error code. I dont see an indication of IFX at all.
You have to be holding on a conventional frequency, or trunked system site, not holding on a trunked system talkgroup, before that will work. Enter the IFX frequency in Sentinel.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This has become a lot more complicated than it has to be. Keep it simple.

This all started with someone complaining about performance on conventional frequencies or I think it was specifically VHF. We spoke of grouping conventional frequencies together that require the same filter. You would then go into department options and apply that one filter to the group of conventional frequencies.

I mentioned that NOAA Weather Radio on the 162 megahertz range did not work at all for me but when I applied IFX to each one of the NOAA frequencies it was like night and day.

Correct, you add it to a single conventional frequency. Either it'll do nothing or it will help. It is a universal application and will then be applied to that frequency anywhere in your radio it exists, even if it was part of a trunked system somewhere else in your radio.

If you find your radio is deaf on a conventional frequency that other radios pick up well, press Channel and hold on that one conventional frequency and toggle function 7.

I personally like to make changes on the radio itself. More control, less time-consuming. It's important that when you do hook up to your computer again the first thing you do is transfer the data from the card to Sentinel so any changes you made on the radio are kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.