NOAA Same & FIPS Codes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is this something you have to leave your scanner on or will it alert you of weather alerts while you are doing normal scanning of like police or fire?
If you are wanting the scanner to monitor the S.A.M.E. codes for your area, the radio must be parked on the weather radio frequency. You can't continue normal scanning along with S.A.M.E. operation. If the scanner was continuing to monitor other frequencies, it likely would miss important sections of the alerts from N.O.A.A. For S.A.M.E. monitoring, your best bet is a dedicated weather radio, or an older scanner (even analog) that you are not actively using. I have weather radios at home. If away from home, for any length of time, such as a day trip, I generally have more than one scanner with me. If weather blows up unexpectedly, I can use one of the scanners as an impromptu weather radio.

You can continue to scan when using Weather Priority. That only checks the weather frequency every 3-4 seconds for the alert tone, which is transmitted longer than that interval. But that in turn means you'd get every weather alert issued by your forecast office, not just the ones you entered FIPS codes for. However, some people prefer not to have the brief, regular, breaks in reception when the scanner checks for an alert broadcast. Plus, many weather radio stations provide alerts for as many as eight or ten counties, including in most cases counties that are 'past' the county I'm in, a storm there being no threat to me at all.

KB7MIB

Wireless Emergency Alerts over cell phones are limited in what they alert you to. Right now, they are only alerting for severe wind events, dust storms, tornadoes, flash floods, tsunamis, hurricanes and typhoons.

They do not warn for severe thunderstorms.

John
Peoria, AZ

K4EET

Chaplain
Tell me if I understand this thread correctly...

This is how my SAME entries look right now:

Data_Entry_SAME_Codes.jpg

Per previous responses, I now understand that my FIPS codes should probably all appear under FIPS 1 instead of the way that I currently have them as shown above.

Since each of the three counties and one city have a single FIPS code each, FIPS 2 through FIPS 8 do not get filled in. Correct?

Now I live in Anne Arundel County and want to hear any alerts to the other three jurisdictions as shown in the table. Is it better to enter the SAME entry on four separate lines and put the FIPS codes under the FIPS 1 column OR would it be better to just list the first line as "My Weather Observation Area" and place the FIPS codes under FIPS 1 through FIPS 4?

Let me ask since my scanner has not alerted yet (I just activated the Wx programming last night). When there is an alert in say FIPS code 024027, if I have the jurisdictions on separate lines, will the scanner display "Howard County" when the scanner alerts? If it does, then I would not want to load up line 1 with all of the FIPS codes. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help folks! I'm a little dense and slow at learning in my old age... :roll: :lol:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.