NOAA Weather Radio - KWO-35 NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
You may be hearing the next closest transmitter on 162.550 I believe it''s up in New London Connecticut. VHF signals can travel pretty far in the summer, especially when there's a warm humid air mass in place.

kc2tek

Are there actually any efforts to get this station back on the air? NYC is the largest, most densely populated market in the country and while it may not be in tornado alley, it still faces risks from hurricanes and other severe weather. I can't understand the lack of urgency for restoring this station given how the FCC usually makes emergency broadcast infrastructure a priority. We know from past experience that cell phone, radio and TV signals can fail (9/11 and Sandy come to mind). NOAA weather radio seems like an important backup resource at the very least.

If it really is a matter of losing the antenna site lease and money is the problem, why not relocate to a federal government building? Presumably this could be done at a reasonable cost, if any, to a federal government agency such as NWS. The Jacob K. Javits Federal Office Building, Ted Weiss Federal Building, or one of the court houses around Foley Square could all probably support a respectable signal from a rooftop antenna. Better than what we have now, that's for sure.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Hardyston Area NOAA Weather Radio KZZ31 feed going OFF LINE 8-1-18

With KWO35 down for the interim. Tony has updated his KWO35 audio feed to cover the WXM60 NWR out of Southard, Monmouth County, New Jersey.

button-play.png
New York City Area NOAA Weather Radio KWO35

Thanks - Tony

Trying to fill the temporary coverage gap here in North Jersey, I just set up a NWR feed KZZ31 162.500 out of Hardyston,Sussex Co, NJ covering NW (North) Jersey, NE PA and S New York (Orange, Rockland & Sullivan Co's).

Here is the link:
Hardyston Area NOAA Weather Radio KZZ31 Thank you,

On or about August 1, 2018
the Hardyston Area NOAA Weather Radio KZZ31 feed will be taken OFF LINEpermanently.

First, let me say Thank You to all who have listened to this feed over the last eight months.
Though this feed has been ON LINE since 11-30-2018, this was an attempt to fill the forecast coverage gap caused by the loss of the KWO35 162.5500 Transmitter out of New York City as well as covering listeners in the KZZ31 162.5000 area from Hardyston, in NW New Jersey.
Disappointingly the listenership to this feed on a daily basis has been usually less than three (3) and most of the time it’s been zero (0) listeners.
Surprisingly, even during severe weather events, the listenership never exceed seven (7) to ten (10) listeners only.
Although the audio and reception signal quality are good, evidently this feed IS NOTreaching the intended target and desired listening audience. Therefore and regrettably the decision has been made to discontinue this feed.
If anyone else is interested to pick up a host this feed with their own equipment,
they are free to do so after August 1, 2018.

NE NJ listeners please use this feed to monitor the area:
New York City Area NOAA Weather Radio KWO35

Thank you,
K2YYN
7-26-18

kc2tek

Alpine would hit the suburbs nicely but building penetration in the city is an issue. Same for First Mountain in West Orange, NJ. 94.7 WNSH broadcasts from there and gets out OK regionally but not great in the city itself.

For that reason I suspect we'll see KWO-35 end up with a Manhattan location again. Or at the very least maybe from Jersey City. Goldman Sachs tower is nearly 800' there. 99 Hudson Street will be at 900', but afaik it's still under construction.

SCPD

QRT
Don't hold your breath, KWO-35 was said to be interfering with something while using it's FCC assigned frequency.
I use 162.500 it covers NJ and NY pretty well.
I get it pretty low on my Uniden SDS-100 but it comes in.

N2ACF

Feed Provider
I was told last week that a lease was near completion in locating the transmitter to the Empire State Building. I was then told that if that lease comes through, to expect some time before they actually get on the air up there.

n2jtx

I was told last week that a lease was near completion in locating the transmitter to the Empire State Building. I was then told that if that lease comes through, to expect some time before they actually get on the air up there.
I've been wondering what is going on with the relocation. KWO35 has been off the air a year now and we are entering yet another winter season where I have useless alert radios. I have been listening to the WXM80 stream from Riverhead when I want to get reports from the Upton NWS office. In fact it was quite helpful to have a stream available when we had a tornado warning for northwestern Nassau back on August 2, 2018. I was house/dog sitting near Port Washington and was in the predicted path. I only found out the details by listening to the WXM80 stream. I had a weather capable radio with me (Yaesu VX-7RB) but its rubber duck cannot pick up distant signals. Hopefully they will be back on the air again before 2019 rolls around.

flct72

Does anybody know if KWO35 is still down, and if it will be coming back any time soon?

There was a tornado warning tonight, but I got nothing when I tried to tune in from upper Manhattan. The warning included Staten Island and possibly NYC, and there was damage due to a suspected tornado in Western NJ.

I tried all the other WX channels too, and nothing! Luckily NBC4 (for me, 4-3 is more stable than 4-1 on my old bunny ears...) was breaking into the program frequently (pretty much every commercial break, which is a lot), but no NOAA to be found. Your tax dollars at work...

If it's really a lease dispute, the landlord should be held for any and all storm related damages that occur during the outage...

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Was listening to NOAA wx last week, did not hear KWO-35 though, just another weak station in it's place. Originally this station was atop Rockefeller Center many years ago but heard it was moved a few times since it's original inception. Really miss hearing it and the living, breathing human announcers that all got canned with the console replacement plan :).

ecps92

Yes - Still Down
NOAA Weather Radio KWO35

Does anybody know if KWO35 is still down, and if it will be coming back any time soon?

There was a tornado warning tonight, but I got nothing when I tried to tune in from upper Manhattan. The warning included Staten Island and possibly NYC, and there was damage due to a suspected tornado in Western NJ.

I tried all the other WX channels too, and nothing! Luckily NBC4 (for me, 4-3 is more stable than 4-1 on my old bunny ears...) was breaking into the program frequently (pretty much every commercial break, which is a lot), but no NOAA to be found. Your tax dollars at work...

If it's really a lease dispute, the landlord should be held for any and all storm related damages that occur during the outage...

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
309 PM EDT WED JUN 12 2019

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

...THE NOAA WEATHER RADIO NYC TRANSMITTER IS EXPECTED TO RETURN TO
SERVICE AUTUMN 2019...

THE NOAA WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITTER THAT SERVES THE NYC METROPOLITAN
AREA IS EXPECTED TO RETURN TO SERVICE IN AUTUMN 2019 AFTER AN
EXTENDED OUTAGE. THE NEW LOCATION FOR KWO-35 WILL BE AT THE TOP OF
THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING IN MIDTOWN MANHATTAN.

IN NOVEMBER 2017, SERVICE WAS TERMINATED DUE TO FAILED LEASE
NEGOTIATIONS. THE OUTAGE REQUIRED THE NWS TO RE-LOCATE THE
TRANSMITTER TWO TIMES. WHILE THE PROCESS OF IDENTIFYING POSSIBLE NEW
LOCATIONS WAS CHALLENGING, IT WAS ULTIMATELY COMPLETED. NOW THAT A
NEW SITE HAS BEEN FINALIZED, NWS IS AUTHORIZED TO BEGIN NEW
INSTALLATION PROCEDURES AND SYSTEM TESTING TO ENSURE THE TRANSMITTER
SIGNAL WILL PERFORM AT OPTIMAL LEVELS. THIS PROCESS WILL TAKE
SEVERAL MONTHS. HOWEVER, IF ALL GOES WELL, WE COULD HAVE THE
TRANSMITTER BACK SOONER THAN ANTICIPATED.

KWO35 WILL RESUME BROADCAST ON A FREQUENCY OF 162.550 MHZ ON 750
WATTS.

IN THE MEANTIME, LOCAL NWS OBSERVATIONS, FORECASTS, AND DATA FOR THE
NYC METROPOLITAN AREA CAN BE FOUND ON:

THE WEB AT: New York, NY

FACEBOOK AT: US National Weather Service New York NY

TWITTER AT: NWS New York NY (@NWSNewYorkNY) | Twitter

IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT SUSAN
BUCHANAN, NWS ACTING DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS AT
SUSAN.BUCHANAN@NOAA.GOV OR 301-427-9000.

VOICE RECORDINGS OF NWS WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE NYC METROPOLITAN
AREA WILL CONTINUE AT 631-924-0517.

WE WILL PROVIDE UPDATES ON THE STATUS OF THE NYC NOAA WEATHER RADIO
TRANSMITTER THROUGH PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTS WHEN ADDITIONAL
INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.

$$

NWSChat - NOAA's National Weather Service

nei1

I splurged and got a Uniden BC75XLT for $80.

What's the first signal you try to receive to make sure the scanner can receive anything? KWO35, of course.

I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread, that the transmitter has been down for YEARS. Gee wizz; you leave the city for a couple of decades and everything goes to pot. And I don't mean legalizing it in New Jersey.

Maybe someone mentioned the NWS page NOAA Weather Radio KWO35
A webpage devoted to that single transmitter. One terse entry in the middle of a very large webpage that the transmitter is OUT OF SERVICE. Everything else about the transmitter -- a coverage map, counties and SAME codes, everything is there as if there's no problem. I thought this is where the NWS should provide some mention of an estimated time to back-on-the-air, maybe an update on the soap opera. Nothing like that.

NWS provides a web-form to use if you notice a weatherradio transmitter problem. NOAA Weather Radio - Outage Reporting No law against using it to complain about their lack of communications regarding KWO35 being down. I told them that webpage would be a good place to include some information about how progress is going. It couldn't hurt.

OK about reports y'all are seeing the transmitter will be reactivated pretty soon. Glad I didn't miss a chance to kick 'em a little while they're down.

Anyway, thanks to radioreference.com for being here.

WA2QBJ

Premium Subscriber
KWO-35 NOAA (162.550 Mhz) Weather for NYC is finally back on the air tonight. Per website it will be operating at reduced power until further notice. It has been reported that the new site is the Empire State Building

Status
Not open for further replies.