NOAA Weather Text Alerts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4jgc

FWIW most newer cell phones have PUSH message capability. If you have that activated, you'll receive WX alerts in your current location no matter where in the US you are. No special app required.

reedeb

FWIW most newer cell phones have PUSH message capability. If you have that activated, you'll receive WX alerts in your current location no matter where in the US you are. No special app required.
Yes my Tracfone has this and I set it up when ever we get severe weather warnings it activates

Analogrules

Weather Push Alerts

The weather push alerts on the smartphone (assuming you are referring to emergency alert system all smartphones come with, along with the Amber alert system) ONLY goes off if the threat is severe enough, such as Tornado Watch or Warning. However, my smartphone's emergency push alert never activates for severe thunderstorm warning or snowstorm warning.

But, WeatherAlertUSA seems to work very well. It was a little tricky figuring out how to set it up, unneccesarily complicated website, but I got it working. I am sure there are also weather apps that send push alerts to your phone as well, but I am not aware of any good ones. I also use the weather underground app, which seems to be even more accurate and up to date than NOAA, but still doesn't send me push alerts for some reason. I have to go into the app itself to view any warnings or alerts.

Firebuff880

Thanks for all of your feedback. Yes, my County supposesly uses a service called First Alert, however it seemed to have stopped working this year. It is strange how these systems come and go, yet never tell you if they are no longer running all the time. I think I will give Weather USA a try first and see how that works. Thanks again.

I will pm you with a solution that we have for many public safety an email agencies. The NWS component is based on EMWIN and IPAWS.

n2nov

You could also follow the local NWS and OEM offices' Twitter feed and have them sent to your mobile device. I do that here in NYC.

N2AL

You could also follow the local NWS and OEM offices' Twitter feed and have them sent to your mobile device. I do that here in NYC.

That is a great idea. Users. An enable twitter notifications and so long as the particular agency does not continuously blow up their twitter feed, it should not be too annoying with useless information.

Analogrules

Good idea Charlie, as long as they don't constantly "tweet" about other insignificant things.

n2nov

I find NWS New York and NYC OEM to be manageable. Of course, in my capacity I need to be aware of more than just severe weather.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I've received alerts from commercial sources about 1-2 minutes faster than alerts from iNWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.