• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Noise on Transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have a VX-351 portable that I use for work (simplex only). Most everyone else at work has a Motorola of some sort. When I transmit from my Vertex, there is a slight noise (hum, or something similar...though it's hard to describe) in the background. It isn't enough that it covers up what I'm saying but it's enough that it's audible. One of the guys here said, "I can always tell when you key up because your radio has a little noise in the background."

Any ideas? Is there something wrong with it or is that just the way it is? Slightly out of alignment or something?? After I was told about it I did some testing and if the radio is in scan it is even louder and has a little rhythm to it (like scanning I guess) but if not in scan it just is a steady noise.

Any help/insight/ideas/replies would be appreciated.

m-gerty

Are you using a battery or a battery eliminator?
Are they both programmed for narrow band, that will make it sound different.
Have you tried transmitting from a different location, to rule out background interference? Let us know what you've tried and give us more info, UHF/VHF.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
First off, I mistyped on the model number...it's a vx-354, not 351. Full model number is VX-354-AG8B-5

Using battery only.

I'd have to check the narrowband...I believe so but that might be something to check.

It's UHF on our business frequencies (licensed) and it sounds basically the same on all 5 channels.

And no, transmitting from a different location doesn't change it.

Everything on the radio (battery, antenna, etc.) is stock.

Thanks for your response and feel free to ask other questions or give other input, you or anyone else.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Are you hearing the PL tone? That can sound like a low frequency hum. It may be that your Vertex PL tone is a little to "hot" (louder) than the other radios.
BB

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Are you hearing the PL tone? That can sound like a low frequency hum. It may be that your Vertex PL tone is a little to "hot" (louder) than the other radios.
BB

Hmm...possibly. It's DPL 315 I believe...hadn't thought about that but do you think that'd be it?

I guess I could do a test and program one channel with no tone and see if the noise is still there...

12dbsinad

Hmm...possibly. It's DPL 315 I believe...hadn't thought about that but do you think that'd be it?

I guess I could do a test and program one channel with no tone and see if the noise is still there...

If it's DPL, you could be hearing the DPL "rumble". Some radios you may hear it very slight. But, do as you said, try it with no tone and see if it goes away. If it isn't the tone, try banging on the radio while transmitting. If the noise changes pitch or gets more severe it could be something internal like a ground pad or shield that is causing the noise.

m-gerty

If you transmit without a PL tone, and the other radios have them, they won't hear you at all. If they have a button programmed for "monitor" they can press and hold while you test. A scanner would work also.

Status
Not open for further replies.