Noise Question ? And A Basic Quest. Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Using a 436. Live outside of Boston.

a. The scanner hangs up on a freq. (135.0 ATIS Logan Arrivals) with the output being just noise.
Adjusting the Squelch from minimum to maximum has absolutely no effect.

What might it be from ?

b.When I enter a single frequency, does the scanner automatically pick what
it believes is the correct mode ?

c. To get the scanner actually scanning again, I've been simply turning the top knob one click.
Is this the best way ?

Thanks,
Bob

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Considering it should be a looped recording of info important to pilots, I'd say the tape broke.. Mode should be AM, and I think the 435 would know that. You can lock that freq out and not miss a beat..
Automatic Terminal Information Service, or ATIS, is a continuous broadcast of recorded aeronautical information in busier airports. ATIS broadcasts contain essential information, such as weather information, active runways, available approaches, NOTAM, and any other information required by the pilots.Sep 29, 2015

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Using a 436. Live outside of Boston.

a. The scanner hangs up on a freq. (135.0 ATIS Logan Arrivals) with the output being just noise.
Adjusting the Squelch from minimum to maximum has absolutely no effect.

What might it be from ?
Considering it should be a looped recording of info important to pilots, I'd say the tape broke.. Mode should be AM, and I think the 435 would know that. You can lock that freq out and not miss a beat..
+1

b.When I enter a single frequency, does the scanner automatically pick what
it believes is the correct mode ?
Yes. You can see those defaults in the Profile. Start the Profile Editor & take a look at the tab labeled as "Band Defaullts

c. To get the scanner actually scanning again, I've been simply turning the top knob one click.
Is this the best way ?

Thanks,
Bob
That's one way to do it. You could also set the channel to Avoid (locked out), temporarily by hitting the Avoid key. If you wanted to make it permanent, use <Function> + <Avoid>+<Avoid>.

You also could set that channel to a "negative delay". Setting the negative delay at 5 seconds means that after stopping on that frequency for 5 seconds, the scanner will resume scanning and move on after the five seconds elapse. There is also a ten second negative delay setting.

The ATIS frequency transmits current wind, runway usage, and any other specific information on a continuous loop, as n9mxq noted. Depending on what changes occur at the airport, that recording may be used for an hour or more, or until there is some sort of change in conditions or operations.

marksmith

Agree with above. That frequency is sticking because there is actually a continuous carrier being transmitted and you should be hearing loop of approach info.

It's not just noise, but a transmitter.

ATIS channels are not real fun for a scanner anyway, once you have heard the loop once.

Avoid.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.