non digital scanning in indianapolis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have recently got my scanner back from my wife, because she has sworn off listening to the neighbors phones! wouldn't you know it, within the last year or two several services went digital, leaving me without anything to hear in indy. i have an analog ratshack pro-83 scanner and am looking for analog frequencies to listen to. what do you guys listen to? i need some suggestions before i toss my radio into the drawer with all the other hobbys that are not possible anymore in this city! (firearms, shortwave radio, astronomy, loud rock&roll...... all impossible in this town!) it seems that EVERYBODY is using the digital mecca system and now all my old frequencies are all silent.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Railroads and aircraft are still using analog.

For rail, 160.800 and 160.560 MHz are fairly busy in the Indianapolis area.

N9WP

Ham radio, especially fun to listen to during severe weather. The central Indiana Skywarn net is on 146.970.

There is also some Medical stuff like Lifeline: 155.160, Ambulance communications on 155.340,
Police point to point on 155.370 is still used too.

Several area counties still have fire dispatch on conventional frequencies too. After the dispatch, traffic will move to the ops channels on SAFE-T but you can still catch the dispatches.

Hope that helps.

jerk

Ham radio, especially fun to listen to during severe weather. The central Indiana Skywarn net is on 146.970.

There is also some Medical stuff like Lifeline: 155.160, Ambulance communications on 155.340,
Police point to point on 155.370 is still used too.

155.3400 is no longer used in my area, in fact some of the hospitals have removed their equipment. Some are using the Safe-T channels now, and there are many analog channels on it, DOT, Fire-ground, Mutual Aid. Also program the NSPAC channels and ISP 800 MHz car to car frequency.

The best thing is do a search and see what you come up with, there is still lots of interesting things to hear.

GTO_04

If you are on the north side, you can probably listen to the Hamilton County Public Safety Radio system, which is still analog.

Also, how about INDOT? Obviously they have been very busy this winter.

GTO_04

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The OP was talking about a RadioShack Pro-83 which is not a trunk-tracking scanner. Even though some SAFE-T talkgroups are analog, it will be challenging to keep up with the conversations without trunk-tracking.

But, yes, the NPSPAC channels and ISP's conventional 800MHz tactical channel would be good ones to program. The common public safety frequencies can be found in the Wiki here:

Common Public Safety - The RadioReference Wiki

JacobInIndy

TSA Indianapolis uses analog on 169.3000. Mostly voice inversion encryption, but sometimes not.

ICE(Immigration and Customs Enforcement) is on 165.2375 pl 100.0 and DHS Interop 166.46250. Both used today(2-18-2010).

167.3125 and 167.4375 pl 167.9 is FBI. They are usually encrypted, occasionally not though.

thanks to everyone for good suggestions and frequencies! as far as trunking goes, i found pretty good luck if i program freq's from low to high then i scanned them backwards (high to low). if traffic was light i would catch replys on the way down. i did mecca that way when it was analog. i live on the eastside. i have a 3 element yagi i made for my wife, its cut for 900mhz (neighbors phones) does anybody think it will catch 800mhz in hamilton county if i get it up into the air? or maybe a larger one with more directors, cut for the 800mhz band? is twenty miles too far to get?

hooty

If you are wanting public safety, then you will need to go digital. At the current time, there isn't much out there that is analog especially, with the changes that will be happening with rebanding.

I would advise to look into digital that will cover the analog as well. The wake up gets expensive but hopefully, it will save you money down the road due to technology.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Are these active???

156.0000 KSI795 Beech Grove Government Services
154.1000 KNCJ397 Cumberland Government Services
154.1450 KSZ366 Speedway Government Services

W9NES

154.145 is the old Speedway Fire Analog Frequency Speedway Fire used for Fire Dispatch before they went to 800Mhz MECA System 1*Nothing heard*, 156.000 is the Old Beech Grove City Police and Fire Frequency again before they went to 800Mhz MECA System 1.I have heard some car to car traffic for Beech Grove PD. 154.100 was being used by Hancock County Emergency Mangement.Maybe Cumberland PD is using the old 154.100 for car to car.

Status
Not open for further replies.