Non emergency calls causeing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
>The article mentions that the average ambulance call is $300-$400. I'm assuming this is what Denver Health charges?<
I got carted out of DIA last year to Aurora South via DGH ambulance. The bill was almost $1900. Average? Beats me, but I ain't complaining. They've always taken great care of us.

MikeyB

>The article mentions that the average ambulance call is $300-$400. I'm assuming this is what Denver Health charges?<
I got carted out of DIA last year to Aurora South via DGH ambulance. The bill was almost $1900. Average? Beats me, but I ain't complaining. They've always taken great care of us.

Still if I got a bill for $1900 that would ruin my day! I've never had the opportunity to ride in an ambulance or a family member either. The only number I worry about is $50, my ambulance co-pay.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
My copay was $250, plus another $200 for the ER. ALS ain't cheap, but it sure is essential.
They didn't have to revive me this time, but I'll always be grateful for the time they did 25 yrs ago.
Probably the greatest single feeling I've ever had: coming-to and seeing that DGH patch (and DFD bunker gear.) You just KNOW you're going to be OK.... can't put a price on that.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I still contend; the worst mistake they ever made was making a 911 call free, especially from a cell phone! But now that we are the eve of this new health care bill, won't all of these people the article is talking about have instant access to health care and no longer need to call for an amb-baa-lance to transport them to their new health care provided clinic or hospital? I mean, they will have health insurance like the rest of us working stiffs (paid for by us having to work harder and longer) and will be able to afford to see a doctor before their problem gets so bad they have to go to ER? Ooops, forgot that they still won't have enough money left after they pay their cell phone bill, monthly cigarette bill, and liquor store tab!

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I have some pretty strong opinions also, but it'd be a great way to lock this topic if we started down that road. Suffice to say, I don't think the answers are simple. I just wanted to state that, having survived the worst thanks to 911/EMS/Fire, I wouldn't want emergency response handicapped in any way.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Prior to 911 being activated in our county (early 90's), I remember getting calls on our 7 digit emergency line such as: what time is it, is school open today (snowfall), when does the parade start, etc. It was a part of human nature we had to deal with.

N2JDS

I used to work for Lincoln County Ambulance, and took 7 digit calls at our base before 911 existed. And our number was just above, Lincoln County Animal Hospital, so we took many calls from people that needed their horse and cows taken care of. Yes, we took calls like turn at the tree stump etc. My first callI took, they told me to turn into the "Cattle Guard" Yeah, I was seriously confused with those directions. I worked PT in 911 dispatch when they first went online, and took the first real 911 call, nobody would believe me in dispatch when i took it, that it was real, because we were live for like 10 minutes when it came in.

Status
Not open for further replies.