• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Non-Impress battery in an Impress charger

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
Can I charge a non-impress battery in an impress charger?

I have a couple XTS 2500 HT's that I use for ham radio, so they are not critical equipment. One could use a new battery, but apparently there is a "worldwide shortage" of impress batteries. There are a couple OEM batteries on Ebay, but they look questionable. Dealers seem to be out of stock for months.

I found this one, which is a Rayovac, (Werker branded), but it says non-impress compatible, which I take to mean that it won't have the battery tracking features, but maybe it will still charge ok in the impress charger.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Can I charge a non-impress battery in an impress charger?

I have a couple XTS 2500 HT's that I use for ham radio. One could use a new battery, but apparently there is a "worldwide shortage" of impress batteries. There are a couple OEM batteries on Ebay, but they look questionable. Dealers seem to be out of stock for months.

I found this one, which is a Rayovac, but it says non-impress compatible, which I take to mean that it won't have the battery tracking features, but maybe it will still charge ok in the impress charger.

Yes.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thank you sir!

Just make sure to drain the battery close to empty before charging so that you can get the maximum life out of it; the whole idea behind Impress is automatically conditioning the battery every so often so you don't have to.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
This Power Products LiPo battery is a whopping 4100 mAh and specifically mentions IMPRES compatibility (see the spec sheet and brochure). Probably more $ than the NiMH, but should still be competitive with the OEM product. A number of pros here have had good experience with Power Products.

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
This Power Products LiPo battery is a whopping 4100 mAh and specifically mentions IMPRES compatibility (see the spec sheet and brochure). Probably more $ than the NiMH, but should still be competitive with the OEM product. A number of pros here have had good experience with Power Products.

Thank you, I appreciate the information, but I already received the battery I ordered from Batteries Plus. It's good enough for my purposes.

prcguy

Actually, the radios I have are UHF Model III, so at least the ones I see for sale, are quite a bit more than that battery costs.
Most of the 380-470 mod IIIs with FPP and AES256 I bought were $125 each with two of them refurbished with new cases. The market seems to be flooded with these and people will discount heavily To make a sale.

prcguy

Wow!

You must have a good source for radios.
Two came from eBay and two refurbished ones were on another radio forum, all $125 each. I had one of the sellers build up a VHF XTS 2500 with FPP and AES for a little more but I forgot the exact price. There were tons of the UHF mod III versions surplussed cheap and I could have bought many at a time in the $40 range untested. I also bought several UHF XTL1500 mod I‘s working great for $40 each off eBay. You just have to sift through all the idiots asking $400 on up for these and you will spot the good deals.

All of my impress chargers were from eBay in the $30 range and I was getting new Motorola Li-P.O batts in the 2600ma range foe about $90 but they seen to have dried up. The high cap $25 Chinese Li-P.Os seem to be ok for the price, not as good as the M brand and no impress functions but you get four for the price of one Motorola.

Last edited:

Badboy536

I use these for my xts2500. Original motorola they are the slim batteries so the radio feels much smaller. They work great. Plus you get two for $64.

hitechRadio

Just make sure to drain the battery close to empty before charging so that you can get the maximum life out of it; the whole idea behind Impress is automatically conditioning the battery every so often so you don't have to.
(I know you were directly referring to his NiMH selection, but... just to be clear for others reading)...

Discharging only applies to Nicad and then NiMH to a lesser extent.
IMPRES charging LiON is primarily for recalibration as the cells age. There is no requirement for LiON to deep discharge.

Although all chemistries require a discharge to recalibrate.

The IMPRES charger is doing two things, reconditioning and calibration.
Calibration so the battery meter and low battery alert is correct. The IMPRES charger detects the chemistry and applies the correct charge profiles.
The battery status info data is written directly to the battery from the charger, such as number of Charges Cycles, Capacity , and then read by the radio for an accurate battery low battery and status gauge.
Non-Impress is using battery voltage only for Lowbattery alert, in fact I believe the battery guage is not active on the radio with a Non-Impres batteries.
It is not (all) marking wank, to keep you locked into Motorola batteries, IMPRES does actually serve a purpose.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
In fact, discharging Li-ion or LiPo deeply is not recommended practice, as it puts a lot of wear on the cell. So is charging to 100%, for that matter, but it's unavoidable in most cases when dealing with public safety batteries that sit in the charger. (If you want to get the most out of your cell phone's battery, however, don't let it discharge below 20% and unplug it once it reaches 80% charge...in between is the sweet spot.)

So in actuality, the IMPRES charger is only recalibrating a Lithium battery, it's not "reconditioning" it at all, and is technically doing more harm than good bringing it down to such a low state of discharge during the recalibration cycle (which occurs roughly every 30 days). But, it is what it is, as they say.