• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

non intrinsic xts5000 to intrinsicly safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIREPHIGHT

I have a non intrinsicly safe xts5000 and want to make it safe . I have called motorola and they said you have to order them like that. what do they do to them to make them safe? i thought they just add the rf sheild behind the computer board and a battery. any help??????

jim202

I have a non intrinsicly safe xts5000 and want to make it safe . I have called motorola and they said you have to order them like that. what do they do to them to make them safe? i thought they just add the rf sheild behind the computer board and a battery. any help??????

The construction is a little different. The case is sealed. All the control shafts have a seal. The speaker has a seal between the outside world and the speaker. The mic hole has a seal. If your radio has keyboard, it too is sealed from the outside world. The battery is different and the battery compartment area is a little different to make a seal between the case and the battery.

This is not what you would call adding a gasket around the battery. Plus any radio shop that services the radio has to be certified to repair such a radio.

Jim

K9WG

Just curious as to why you want it intrinsically safe? Are you planning to use it in an explosive atmosphere? Intrinsically safe means the equipment is certified not to create sparks or flame that would be hazardous in an explosive flammable environment.

FIREPHIGHT

Just curious as to why you want it intrinsically safe? Are you planning to use it in an explosive atmosphere? Intrinsically safe means the equipment is certified not to create sparks or flame that would be hazardous in an explosive flammable environment.

I purchased this radio to use on our local (EMA) emergency managment agency for our county and i am also i firefighter for our town so this radio could possibly come in contact with some of these hazards. when i purchased this radio i did not realize they make non intrinsicly safe radios I thought all the newer style radios were safe

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
If your radio is going to be exposed to a hazmat then your not in the right protective gear. Our haz mat teams dont use IS radios because they arent exposed to hazards. They are in the suit. IS radios are for refinery or Mining applications mostly.

esfd283

They put the green dot on it

K9WG

If your radio is going to be exposed to a hazmat then your not in the right protective gear. Our haz mat teams dont use IS radios because they arent exposed to hazards. They are in the suit. IS radios are for refinery or Mining applications mostly.
And I might guess that any area that requires IS equipment would be very strict about controlling radios brought into their area. I know areas I go into there are very detailed and strict SOPs on entering and working there. I am sure an area would not want any equipment that was not designed to be IS in their environment.

grem467

They put the green dot on it

But with the green dot comes the tracking and documentation of the radio from birth to death. Without this, even a green dot IS radio is not IS certified. The first time someone cracks the case on that radio without properly documenting it, they consider it the same as a non-is radio

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
IS ratings cannot be retrofitted in the field or after manufacturing. Any servicing has do be done by a qualified IS certified facility and documentation of each unit that comes in and goes out, what is replaced, etc is kept.

IS is all about documentation. Technically the differences between say, an IS rated radio and non-IS radio isn't that much, but IS rated versions carry a label certifying such, and documentation from the factory, Factory Mutual Labs and all servicing forward reflecting such.

SCPD

QRT
On this same IS note, I have an XTS1500 that is IS, can use a non IS battery with it? I dont need the IS capability..

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can use a non-IS battery.

It also comes down to legal-ease. If Department A uses a Non-IS radio in an explosive atmosphere and it causes an explosion, they can't go back to Motorola legally. If an IS radio is used and it triggers the same explosion, Motorola can be held liable.

From a purely technical standpoint, they're identical. Unless you look at the APEX radios. Those are a different beast entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.