Non-PBX Desktop Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,
I am wanting to add desktop phones in office and common area's (About 4 or 5 total). I am wanting to connect these through a simple home network that does not require a PBX or anything like that as I do not really understand them. I like the look of the old school Nortel M7310 and the modern YeaLink T41S but I'm not sure how they work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

bharvey2

John, I've not worked with either of those phones but a quick look on the internet and it looks like the Nortel connects to a PBX and the YeaLink is a SIP phone. As you're aware, the Nortel would need a PBX on the premises. The Yealink does connect to a PBX per se but it doesn't necessarily need to reside on premises. Can you provide an explanation of the proposed phone environment and what you expect from the phones? While multiline phones that would connect to an old school home phone line or lines do (or did exist) they're capabilities are limited. In a house, that may not be much of a problem. In an office well, it could be a problem.

For an office environment with multiple stations, SIP or IP phones may be the way to go. A set of hosted IP phones in simple terms are interconnected via a computer network switch. That network is in turn connected to the internet. The phones are then controlled by a server from the phone provider. This a a simplistic explanation but i hope it give you an idea of what goes on with them.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
This setup will just be used for my home. Total of two offices, living room and bedroom. I have decided to save a lot of headache and effort and have purchased the ooma telo system. I'll have two desk phones and two handheld phones. This system connects to your homes wifi router and the phones connect to it. I don't necessarily need the calling feature as I have my cell phone, just needed more of a phone to phone intercom. I'm sure there are better options out there but I will try this for now.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have decided to save a lot of headache and effort and have purchased the ooma telo system.
I've been using an Ooma Telo system at home for a couple of years. It works fine and installation was very simple. They will assign you a telephone number, but I was able to "port" my old AT&T POTS number to Ooma so I have the same phone number as in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.