Non rail listener with a rail question

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio10-8

I was in Kansas City, Mo. and I saw alot of trains. So I scanned and listened for a while. I saw numerous BNSF trains and some letters written on the side of several cars that were carrying coal or dirt? The letters were "KLPX" anyone know what this means?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I was in Kansas City, Mo. and I saw alot of trains. So I scanned and listened for a while. I saw numerous BNSF trains and some letters written on the side of several cars that were carrying coal or dirt? The letters were "KLPX" anyone know what this means?

The owner's reporting marks...

Every car has its own number with letters and numbers. They're all entered into the Universal Machine Language Equipment Register (UMLER) searchable by all railroads.

probably coal, Powder River basin is the best coal in the country and enough there for another 200 years.

KC0QNB

I had a friend tell me several years ago the the "X" indicates the car is not owned by a railroad. As a example CMO is part of the UPRR group, and (thanks to the last link), and OPPX is Omaha Public Power. Now if I could get that list converted into a spreadsheet type format, hmm there is a project for me.

KC0QNB

Anybody seen this car?
tankcar.jpg

I shot this a few years ago, the best TrainArt example I have ever seen, I am always looking though.

KPLX reporting marks belong to Kansas City Power and Light. Several unit coal trains move through Lincoln Yard with KPLX reporting mark. Most of them either go to Iatan or La Cygne power stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.