• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NON-STANDARD DPL TONES

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I am seeing non-standard DPL tones being used such as D013N these days. As everyone is aware, D023N is the lowest in the Motorola DPL table in the CPS for every model series before the APX series.

Does anyone know of a procedure to manually enter a non-standard tone and will the radio firmware accept the change especially for the XTL and XTS series?

This must be a CCR thing.

mbnv992

Someone local to me is using that code ( 013 ) for a local GMRS repeater. Sucks since none of my Motorola radios have that code and it’s a really nice repeater with great range. I emailed the owner of the repeater that issue and he said he might change the code in the future. But for now - anyone with a Motorola radio that needs 013 for a repeater - not gonna happen ( at least not that I know of. If there is someone definitely tell me )

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Does anyone know of a procedure to manually enter a non-standard tone and will the radio firmware accept the change especially for the XTL and XTS series?
There isn't one.
This must be a CCR thing.
The big three and the CCR companies include complentary codes for some reason. Motorola doesn't.

There is a complementary code to 013. If you use 013, it will false a different DPL code. I'm not smart enough to figure out what the complemtary code is with out doing some research first. I'm sure there is someone here that can tell you what the complemtary code is.

The 'standard codes don't have this problem and shouldn't false decode.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
There isn't one.

The big three and the CCR companies include complentary codes for some reason. Motorola doesn't.

There is a complementary code to 013. If you use 013, it will false a different DPL code. I'm not smart enough to figure out what the complemtary code is with out doing some research first. I'm sure there is someone here that can tell you what the complemtary code is.

The 'standard codes don't have this problem and shouldn't false decode.
Some Kenwoods will allow non standard DPL tones, I tried 013 and the service monitor decoded it as 013 so there may not be a "complementary" code. That said, one should not use bogus DPLs.

Jim

N4KVE

Someone local to me is using that code ( 013 ) for a local GMRS repeater. Sucks since none of my Motorola radios have that code and it’s a really nice repeater with great range. I emailed the owner of the repeater that issue and he said he might change the code in the future. But for now - anyone with a Motorola radio that needs 013 for a repeater - not gonna happen ( at least not that I know of. If there is someone definitely tell me )
Maybe that’s why the repeater owner is using that code.

rf_patriot200

Some Kenwoods will allow non standard DPL tones, I tried 013 and the service monitor decoded it as 013 so there may not be a "complementary" code. That said, one should not use bogus DPLs.

Jim
Yes, I have 2 Older kenwood's that will do non-standard pl's and Dpl's . There are times where I can see this as being useful, even tho not the norm.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I just learned that my Kenwood TK880-1 will allow the non-standard DPL code. You click on the respective tone column and enter "D013" and tab off and it will populate the change. Then I wrote the change to the radio and tried and see if I could hit the repeater, surprisingly it worked.

I wish my Motorola radios would do that as easily that the Kenwood did.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Use of the non-Motorola-standard DCS codes pre-dates CCRs by decades, just like the non-EIA-standard CTCSS tones. Does it just not accept codes below 023, or not accept anything that isn't in the ~83 Motorola-standard DPL codes?

These should all be equivalent codes ("+" is normal, "-" is inverted):
+013 +063 +700 -376 -617 -763

Those pages on the onfreq site are a good resource.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Use of the non-Motorola-standard DCS codes pre-dates CCRs by decades, just like the non-EIA-standard CTCSS tones. Does it just not accept codes below 023, or not accept anything that isn't in the ~83 Motorola-standard DPL codes?

These should all be equivalent codes ("+" is normal, "-" is inverted):
+013 +063 +700 -376 -617 -763

Those pages on the onfreq site are a good resource.
The CPS uses two pulldown lists of CTCSS & DPLs for each the encode and decode to select the appropriate tones/codes. The pulldown lists will not allow any manual entry unless there is a special keyboard procedure to bypass that lockout feature such as control, alt, or shift function.

If there is an equivalent inverted DPL code for the normal D013, I sure would like to know what that inverted code is. I tried each DPL normal and inverted that is on the DPL pulldown lists and the repeater did not accept any of the Motorola DPL codes.

Asunakiyori

Lurker
The CPS uses two pulldown lists of CTCSS & DPLs for each the encode and decode to select the appropriate tones/codes. The pulldown lists will not allow any manual entry unless there is a special keyboard procedure to bypass that lockout feature such as control, alt, or shift function.

If there is an equivalent inverted DPL code for the normal D013, I sure would like to know what that inverted code is. I tried each DPL normal and inverted that is on the DPL pulldown lists and the repeater did not accept any of the Motorola DPL codes.
Ima guess the repeater you are accessing is using is DXXXI or DXXXN? yea moto wont do those...