Non Un-keying on SLC analog scanning lately....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hystorm

Greetings,

My first post.
I have a Realistic 2004 analog scanner which I use to scan all the non trucked frequencies in and around the SLC valley.

For some reason, in the last month or so, many of the freq's used in the 800Mhz range no longer un-key.
Meaning, it will stay on a channel until I hit scan.
And no, its not the squelch. I can crank the squelch all the way to max, does not change a thing.

Happens on about 8 to 10 channels, some of the main ones in the Valley.
Here is an example of a freq with this new function: 856.9875

Has anyone heard of, or experienced this as well?
Makes the point of a 'scanner' useless.

Thanks in advance.

kf7yn

856.9875 is one of 20 active frequencies on the Salt Lake Simulcast trunked system. Trying to follow anything on it with a conventional scanner is meaningless since talkgroups jump from frequency to frequency.

Right now I am listening to 856.9875 on a conventional scanner in FM mode, the transmitter does not drop out, not sure why. However, listening to it on a trunking scanner, it acts normally. I would say it's time to get a trunking scanner so you can follow conversations.

Hystorm

Guess that makes sense.

How much are we talking to get into a good, used trunking monitor?

Thanks in advance.

ww7y

They can be had for $100 +/- on eBay, and you can get a new one for a little more. One good thing about the UCAN system is that is mostly analog, with very little digital. So analog trunktracking scanners are relatively cheap. I like the Uniden brand, and I've had them all. Look for a BCD15X if you want a base model or a BC346XT if you want a handheld. Both are easy to program and work great on UCAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.