Non-US Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucephalus

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the PSR-500 be purchased online from over seas seller? If anyone knows of someone who can sell me a non-US PSR of Non-US transceiver, please let me know. Thanks.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the PSR-500 be purchased online from over seas seller? If anyone knows of someone who can sell me a non-US PSR of Non-US transceiver, please let me know. Thanks.

Let's go on the assumption that GRE even carries an overseas version of the PSR-500. Why would you want one? What would be the advantage of having an overseas model where you would have to pay extra for shipping, etc as opposed to the lower cost US model?

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Full 800 coverage to monitor cell phones. ;)

Maybe if this was the 80's/early 90s and not 2010.

Try again. Not enough analog cell activity left to make an overseas purchase worth the money and time.

So I ask again, Why?

Marshall KE4ZNR

jhooten

You know this and I know this hence the winkie at the end.

What it boils down to is the "mom and dad (the govt) said I can't have it so I want it" mentality.

SCPD

QRT
There is no such thing as a non-us model. I am in Canada and the model we use is the same as you have in the US.

BTW .. even if you had an export model (generally only ICOM really make export models), cellular these days isn't in the 800 MHz area anyways. The law that is in place is blocking what used to be 'analog cellular'. I don't think people even use analog cellular phones anymore. I sure don't know anyone that still owns one these days.

Bucephalus

Premium Subscriber
True. That doesn't make sense since no one is on the 800 mhz anyway. I am going to buy one for the best price. found some good deals but very expensive. The only reason why I want a Digital is to check out the APCO25. However, I am sure that certain local state/federal freqs will still be encrypted?
I have been checking out the Hand Held transceivers too. I want to get a couple for me and my wife. I was wondering if it is possible for us to have communications within our county and state? I have been listening to a couple of guys on 444.450 talk about repeaters in my area and the ranges they have been getting, but I am new to this and I am not sure what they have and how long they be doing it. I have been scanning the 70 khz am freqs and have been wondering if the wife and I can communicate on this? Also do not know what type of radios to get. I have been looking at the ICOM R20. Are there any transceivers that have an EDACS, Mot, LTR, and APCO 25? This would be cool.

Bucephalus

Premium Subscriber
True. That doesn't make sense since no one is on the 800 mhz anyway. I am going to buy one for the best price. found some good deals but very expensive. The only reason why I want a Digital is to check out the APCO25. However, I am sure that certain local state/federal freqs will still be encrypted?
I have been checking out the Hand Held transceivers too. I want to get a couple for me and my wife. I was wondering if it is possible for us to have communications within our county and state? I have been listening to a couple of guys on 444.450 talk about repeaters in my area and the ranges they have been getting, but I am new to this and I am not sure what they have and how long they be doing it. I have been scanning the 70 khz am freqs and have been wondering if the wife and I can communicate on this? Also do not know what type of radios to get. I have been looking at the ICOM R20. Are there any transceivers that have an EDACS, Mot, LTR, and APCO 25? This would be cool.

N

N_Jay

Whitestorm,

You probably need to do a little more research on the type of communications you are asking about.
The rules for most public safety, and business/industrial (business band) communications do not allow its use for family communications. You seem to have no need for a transceiver for any of these frequencies. A good digital scanner will get you all that can be heard.

Do some reading on "FRS" and "GMRS" as these are the services that are more appropriate to what you are asking about for family communications.

As for the rest: 800 MHz cellular is still 800 MHz cellular, however it is all (or almost all) digital and not able to be received with scanners and receivers (Other than by test equipment designed specifically for the protocols used).

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
There is a non-us version... The canadian version 500c BUT the 800 is blocked as well.

Some people think the "digital" in the scanners will decode cell phones they just need a unblocked digital scanner. Not gonna happen

Concrete1

Just to be precise, 800Mhz is still the largest band in use by cellular in the USA & Canada, that hasn't changed. It's just that the signals have been converted to digital spread spectrum CDMA & GSM . 1900Mhz is also used as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.