Non-voice digital and satellite comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1av

I would like to investigate some other communications where I can also use computer....right now I can monitor ACARS and also POCSAG transmissions. I was playing around with a program called "PDW" and you can monitor many types of signals. But my luck monitoring ACARS is much better using "ACARSD". So my question is how can I monitor weather stuff like maps and other digital signals with a regular scanner? I have a minimal setup in my basement using a homebrew vhf hi dipole up about 20'. Works pretty good so far. And I also have a discone mounted on garage that I use for a scanner upstairs on 2nd floor.

Last edited:

w1av

re: LO-90 (LilacSat-1)

Hi...I am very new to this so what mode should the transmissions from this satellite be in? Which software can I use? Right now I am using PDW for monitoring ACARS, DIREWOLF for monitoring POCSAG signals. BTW the scanner I am using is a Bearcat BC700a. The frequency wont tune to 436.510....it will only do 436.5125...prob close enough? I did read most of the link you sent but dont understand much of it.

royldean

Essentially, LilacSat-1 is a chinese amateur radio transponder. It's got a standard FMN 2m uplink, and the downlink is this open source digital (Like DMR or D-Star, but no licensing fees required). There should be links on that website to the decoding software.

Essentially, if you listen to a pass with a beam antenna (or a very good omni), and pipe the Rx into the software, you'll get DMR-like downlink audio of amateur stations making contacts (if there happens to be traffic, that is). I personally don't really feel like lugging around a pc to decode the Rx, so I've never tried it.... but many have and it works just fine.

BTW, you can also use direwolf to decode the active APRS satellites (NO-84 and ISS). It's 1200bps AX-25.

Status
Not open for further replies.