Noob General question on signal decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

alokpant

Hi all,
I am still new to understanding the radio frequency. Does anyone know what is the best way to find the signal type and map to right kind of decoder to use. I am able to here local broadcast analog signals but not sure how to see some of the digital channel. I was able to finally get P25 signal decode working by some very useful youtube article and also buying DSDplus fastlane; but now I want to hear other local Ham radio and having issue. For that I will post separate question.

I have various captures of signal (URL below) and trying to find out what are these types. Please find the below URL. Will you be kind enough to point. I already checked the wiki signal (Signal Identification Wiki) but now able to decode these types.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be very helpful to know the frequency and where you are (county/state is fine)? Mike

alokpant

@Hit_Factor. Thankyou. Just ordered the book.

@ka3jjz, Yes I am in Austin, TX (Travis county). I am hoping one of you can pass a pointers for me either decode or how to further investigate signal types based on these waterfall model referenced in the document linked @ sdr_signal_scan.docx

alokpant

@ka3jjz, Thankyou! I guess I was not very consistent at those bandwidth some. If you enlarge the picture the range is at bottom right of each pictures. I make it public access hoping anyone can open it

alokpant

Hi DRL-XM43 Thanks. I am not sure; however, being new, every answer leads me to set of new questions. I am using SDRSharp/SDRUno to listen

For ex. The link you shared (Travis County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

1. Are all the these station analog (except one with P25Phase1) or digital?; i.e. can I hear the sound if I tune to these frequency in AM/FM mode? .. unsure if these these modes are digital. So far I cant hear any of these frequencies (except the P25 GATRRS via conrol frequency).

2. For the most I don't hear any of these frequency in my 10/2 meter band when just using SDRShapr/SDRUno. Its possible its not much used on time I join or these are digital. However I do see various interesting pattern and trying to understand what those signals are

3. Is there database that further inform these frequency are part of analog (AM/FM) or specific digital signal (P25, DMR, D-STAR etc). How can one tell?

4. I also read about small band modes- LSB, USB etc. Do these only apply to analog sound or also apply to digital data as well; I assume both but not sure

As you can see, I am trying to make sense of information overload. I made some basic progress but there is so much I just dont understand

DRL-XM43

Hi DRL-XM43 Thanks. I am not sure; however, being new, every answer leads me to set of new questions. I am using SDRSharp/SDRUno to listen

For ex. The link you shared (Travis County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

1. Are all the these station analog (except one with P25Phase1) or digital?; i.e. can I hear the sound if I tune to these frequency in AM/FM mode? .. unsure if these these modes are digital. So far I cant hear any of these frequencies (except the P25 GATRRS via conrol frequency).

2. For the most I don't hear any of these frequency in my 10/2 meter band when just using SDRShapr/SDRUno. Its possible its not much used on time I join or these are digital. However I do see various interesting pattern and trying to understand what those signals are

3. Is there database that further inform these frequency are part of analog (AM/FM) or specific digital signal (P25, DMR, D-STAR etc). How can one tell?

4. I also read about small band modes- LSB, USB etc. Do these only apply to analog sound or also apply to digital data as well; I assume both but not sure

As you can see, I am trying to make sense of information overload. I made some basic progress but there is so much I just dont understand

The database clearly identifies the signal type such as FM DMR NEXEDGE D-Star P25 and so forth.

Start by going to the county you are in - these are the signals you probably can receive, Scroll to the bottom and see a list of all the frequencies that you can scan/could and listen to with the right decode tools. Each will show the agency and signal type used. Click on them for individual info. The right tools means able to decode that signal type. There are many around depending what your interest is.

There is more in the DB but that is probably a good start for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.