Status
Not open for further replies.

Pendarvis69

Premium Subscriber
If you have no patience ... Move along!

I guess I can't really call myself a 'newbie'. I've been scanning for my entire life (and i'm old enough to remember the 70's!) I've even owned 'trunking' scanners, but i've never gotten full use of them because for some reason I just can't grasp the concept of trunking... CTCSS... Fleets and sub-fleets... What ever happened to simply hitting 141.00 'ENTER'?!?

I WILL learn, but for now I want to get this thing up and running- Then I can learn from trial and error as I start adjusting/editing as I go. So... Here are my questions:

1- Is there a programming guide for the PSR 500 specifically written for 4 year-olds and dumb people like me?

2- Is there someone in the Los Angeles area who I could pay a few bucks to come program my scanner and show me what they are doing?

3- Finally: What software would you recommend for ease of use? Is there something that automatically sets up the trunking and squelch modes and all that new-fangled stuff?

Thanks for your understanding/patience/gentleness -

AREAS COVERED: Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, general Los Angeles, etc + some National Freq.
INTERESTS: All the standard stuff (PD, FD, Emergency) also wireless mics, television and film industry, security, Federal Gov, etc.
EQUIPMENT: GRE PSR 500... (and everything from an old Realistic "PRO-20" to a "PRO-2024" and a "PRO-164")

RadioDaze

If you can download the software from this site (free trial period):
Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control
and then get familiar enough with it, I can send you my file to load into your scanner. Then you will have LAPD, LA Sheriffs, LA City Fire, LA County Fire, CHP, and lots of Orange County (which you may or may not care about.)

Also, here's a page that mey help a little bit in understanding the scanner's functions:
Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

I'd help you in person, but I have no idea when I'll be up your way. But my file will definitely get you started, and then you can add to it as you learn.

Feel free to PM me anytime.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
1- Is there a programming guide for the PSR 500 specifically written for 4 year-olds and dumb people like me?
Yes, click Programming shortcut under my signature.
3- Finally: What software would you recommend for ease of use? Is there something that automatically sets up the trunking and squelch modes and all that new-fangled stuff?
Win500, PSREdit, ARC500 and Scancontrol

Highpockets

If you have no patience ... Move along!

I guess I can't really call myself a 'newbie'. I've been scanning for my entire life (and i'm old enough to remember the 70's!) I've even owned 'trunking' scanners, but i've never gotten full use of them because for some reason I just can't grasp the concept of trunking... CTCSS... Fleets and sub-fleets... What ever happened to simply hitting 141.00 'ENTER'?!?

I WILL learn, but for now I want to get this thing up and running- Then I can learn from trial and error as I start adjusting/editing as I go. So... Here are my questions:

2- Is there someone in the Los Angeles area who I could pay a few bucks to come program my scanner and show me what they are doing?

Thanks for your understanding/patience/gentleness -

AREAS COVERED: Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, general Los Angeles, etc + some National Freq.
INTERESTS: All the standard stuff (PD, FD, Emergency) also wireless mics, television and film industry, security, Federal Gov, etc.
EQUIPMENT: GRE PSR 500... (and everything from an old Realistic "PRO-20" to a "PRO-2024" and a "PRO-164")

Here is a Guide that will help get you through the process of Importing and downloading the info to your scanner if you decide to use Win500.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

Last edited:

Pendarvis69

Premium Subscriber
I'm still no expert in trunking... but I'm up and running now. Thanks for the help!
I've never had so much memory on a scanner. I just need to get some Hollywood/Beverly Hills cool/interesting frequencies to add to the collection and i'll be set.
Thanks again... and if you want to share some of your SoCal frequencies... Hit me up PM!

Status
Not open for further replies.