Noob Radio Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

evansrj

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I believe I have done my due diligence and have not found a recent post on this same topic. It seems to be the topic everyone sighs at but I am hoping you will indulge me.

I was new to photography once and the forums were the place I learned the most from on both equipment and techniques so I believe there is a lot of value in a place like this.

I am new to this hobby although I have been a scanner and cb enthusiast for the last 10-12 years.

I am looking for suggestions on a mobile radio that I will also be able to use in my house. I would ask for beginner suggestions but know from past purchases, I am a quick learner and wish I had bought something as if I had been doing this for some time.

Finding a good radio is more important to me than budget but I was hoping to stay within the $300-$500 range.

I am intending on getting my advanced licence so I would like something that will allow me to make full use of my licence.

Any suggestions would be welcome and your patience with "the noob" would be appreciated.

We all started somewhere!

Thanks,
Ryan Evans

N5TWB

Hello, I believe I have done my due diligence and have not found a recent post on this same topic. It seems to be the topic everyone sighs at but I am hoping you will indulge me.

I was new to photography once and the forums were the place I learned the most from on both equipment and techniques so I believe there is a lot of value in a place like this.

I am new to this hobby although I have been a scanner and cb enthusiast for the last 10-12 years.

I am looking for suggestions on a mobile radio that I will also be able to use in my house. I would ask for beginner suggestions but know from past purchases, I am a quick learner and wish I had bought something as if I had been doing this for some time.

Finding a good radio is more important to me than budget but I was hoping to stay within the $300-$500 range.

I am intending on getting my advanced licence so I would like something that will allow me to make full use of my licence.

Any suggestions would be welcome and your patience with "the noob" would be appreciated.

We all started somewhere!

Thanks,
Ryan Evans

First off, congratulations on considering ham radio as your new hobby. There are multiple directions you can go to find personal satisfaction so I urge you to open your mind to all of them. Second, find a local ham radio group you can join in order to have some face time with those who will be available to provide hands-on assistance when that time comes. In ham radio terms, this process is also called getting an "Elmer". Finally, like any new hobby pusuit, you need to read lots then read some more in order to get the lingo. Example, using the term "advanced" shows you don't have an understanding of the various levels of licensing: Technician, General, & Extra. There used to be an Advanced license but you cannot get it now as it has been folded into the Extra license. Only those currently holding a grandfathered Advanced license can renew as Advanced licensees.

In order to make an informed suggestion on mobile radio possibilities for you, it would be helpful if you told us what you are interested in as far as operating. This could include options like SkyWarn spotter, local public service events, etc. Tell us more and you'll find many are glad to help.

evansrj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the prompt response.

I am actually fron Canada so I believe I am correct with my term advanced when referencing the levels of licencing but apologize for not stating that in the original msg.

I would probably be most interested in storm watching/alerts (Canwarn) and participating in local events here in Winnipeg, MB. I know hams are widely used in our marathons. I would certainly be excited to make friends around the globe as well.

I have reached out to our local clubs in Wpg and am awaiting a reply to connect with an Elmer.

Hope this info helps a bit!

Thanks again,
Ryan

evansrj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the prompt response.

I am actually fron Canada so I believe I am correct with my term advanced when referencing the levels of licencing but apologize for not stating that in the original msg.

I would probably be most interested in storm watching/alerts (Canwarn) and participating in local events here in Winnipeg, MB. I know hams are widely used in our marathons. I would certainly be excited to make friends around the globe as well.

I have reached out to our local clubs in Wpg and am awaiting a reply to connect with an Elmer.

Hope this info helps a bit!

Thanks again,
Ryan

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Welcome Ryan, yes Advanced is a license class here in Canada. Although I am not in the Peg, look at Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom. All three make dual band mobiles, I with a $300-500 do not waste your time on a single band, go Dualband. I use a FT-8800, love the radio, I have also heard good things about the TM-V71 as well, Icoms dual banders go for a bit more but are also great radios. Good luck on your new hobby

N5TWB

Ryan -

Thanks for the clarification on your location as regards the licensing rules/names in Canada - I learned something there.

Based on your additional info, I'd definitely agree with kayn's advice on getting a name brand dual-band mobile radio. If you go used on the mobile, your max budget would probably allow you to also get a new V/UHF handheld like the Wouxoun, too. I have one with multiple accessories that I spent less than $200 for.

Your proposed activities are good start for learning, especially if they allow you to learn good procedures for communication via a controlled net. Your next step should be to work with an Elmer that has an HF station so you can experience the world-wide aspect of ham radio. That will make you want to study for the upgrade to get those privileges and buy the radio to take you there.

LtDoc

I would suggest you think about more than just the VHF/UHF bands, what ever license class that would be in Canada. Nothing wrong with the VHF/UHF bands, but they are limiting, unlike the HF bands (distances, number of users, modes, etc.).
Your spending limits are sort of 'limiting', but not all that much really. The used market is also a viable approach. But it also requires some knowledge to keep from getting 'skinned' too bad.
Good luck!
- 'Doc

evansrj

Premium Subscriber
I am also a new ham. If I had your budget, I would get the YAESU
FT-8900R
Ham Radio Outlet | YAESU FT-8900R | QUADBAND 29/50/144/430 VHF/UHF FULL DUPLEX

Thanks, that seems to be the one I keep going back too but I certainly think talking with an Elmer would make me feel much more confident in my decision. I would like to have a handheld as well as my wife and I hike a fair bit and until reading these forums, never really thought about a handheld for emergency purposes.

Any thoughts from others on the Yaesu 8900?

Thanks everyone for your contributions,
Ryan

bge1234

I'm also new to the hobby, currently studying for my technician license, but looking to purchase a radio now so that I can use it right away upon obtaining the license. I was wondering, though, if there is such a thing as a transceiver which can have both CB and amateur frequencies? I'm hoping that by buying 1 radio instead of 2, I could save some money as I do not yet own a CB radio, either.

N5TWB

I'm also new to the hobby, currently studying for my technician license, but looking to purchase a radio now so that I can use it right away upon obtaining the license. I was wondering, though, if there is such a thing as a transceiver which can have both CB and amateur frequencies? I'm hoping that by buying 1 radio instead of 2, I could save some money as I do not yet own a CB radio, either.

Not legally, AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.