Noob to scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd112

Hello,

I live between Shelbyville, waldron and columbus. Just ordered a RS PRO-197 scanner, should have it in a few days. I'm a retired firefighter from Indy's west side and would like to monitor Indy and all depts PD/Fire on meca. According to my mapping software, I'm 35 miles from Indy and 55' lower in elevation. I have access to a tower attached to my 2 story home that is not in use. I also want to monitor surrounding counties and military base near shelbyville, HAM talk is OK as I'm not positive I want to take that step and get my ticket until I listen to some talk. Anyone listen to Indy from my area and have any info if this is even possible? Any tips on an outside antenna for my scanner that will pickup Indy and not overload the local bands?

Thanks

Tony
SFD 1972-2000 retired!

W9NES

SFD112, Welcome to the Indiana Fourm. Yes it is possible to montior Safe-t and IDPS(MECA) from Shelbyville. I programed a Radio Shack Pro-2096 with both safe-t and IDPS for a ham who lives in your area in Shelby County near Waldron. He is getting Safe-t and IDPS(MECA) just fine with the antenna that came with the Radio Shack Pro-2096.

Status
Not open for further replies.