Noob with Tons of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuul99

I am super new to scanning, and still learning what is static noise and what is something. My current equipment is my dad's set up from the 80's. I have and Icom IC-R71A, and Universal M-7000 Communications Terminal, the screen to see what i am decoding, my antenna is a simple wire thrown up into a tree next to my bedroom. And I would like to start with my first question: I live right next to an airport(at least 1.6KM), will all the air traffic affect my ability to pick up frequencies? So if my questions seem like "WTF is he talking about" i will apologize right now: Pardon my inexperience

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
In my experience aircraft (and towers) do not use a lot of power. Interference with other frequencies you want to listen to should be minimal. Welcome to the hobby.

KE7VJW

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR! What part of AZ are you in? What do you want to listen to?

Jim

zuul99

Scottsdale Air park. I like to listen to V02 the Cuban number station that comes in very strong and one I am trying to research is a South African Navy MKSK it broadcasts on 8580 kHz USB. But mainly im am looking for oddities. UVB-76 really got me interested in shortwave

Status
Not open for further replies.