Noobie Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hormone

Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum and have the stock RS Pro-43. Some of the buttons on the right side of the key pad are inop. Is there software that one could use to turn their pc into a scanner if you just hooked up an ant? Is there software out there that could be used instead of the keypad to prog freqs?

TIA,
Hormone

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Hormone said:
Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum and have the stock RS Pro-43. Some of the buttons on the right side of the key pad are inop. Is there software that one could use to turn their pc into a scanner if you just hooked up an ant? Is there software out there that could be used instead of the keypad to prog freqs?

TIA,
Hormone

Many newer scanners are programmable via a computer. Unfortunately, the PRO-43 isn't one of them.

Yes, there are so called black box receivers that hook up to your PC and allow it to act as a radio receiver. All the ones I am aware of are wide band HF/VHF/UHF communications receivers and are not really scanners in the sense of a typical programmable scanner like the PRO-43. They're more expensive than a typical scanner, and you're restricted to using it with your computer.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If anyone is truly interested in a computer controlled scanner.....

One of the better scanners that can be controlled (not just programmed) by a computer is the radio shack Pro 2052. It's been marked down to $99.97 from an all time high prive of $399.99 (when it 1st came out, several years ago).

LordJ

You can/may be able to order a new keypad for the unit. After time, they just wear out. I replaced mine a couple of years back and actually ordered an extra just in case. They should still be available....

vrom67

Another Newbie question...

Grog said:
If anyone is truly interested in a computer controlled scanner.....

One of the better scanners that can be controlled (not just programmed) by a computer is the radio shack Pro 2052. It's been marked down to $99.97 from an all time high prive of $399.99 (when it 1st came out, several years ago).

I was wondering if there were any mods for the Pro 2052 as I am in the market for a new scanner.

I am just getting started into learning what scanner I could start off with as a first scanner for myself.

All advice or information is welcomed
Victor

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
vrom67 said:
I was wondering if there were any mods for the Pro 2052 as I am in the market for a new scanner.
I am just getting started into learning what scanner I could start off with as a first scanner for myself.
All advice or information is welcomed
Victor

Why are you looking for a scanner that can have "mods" done to it? What type of "mods" are you referring to? Most of today's scanners cannot be modified anyway.

A couple of good scanners are the PRO-97 or the PRO-2055 if you don't need digital. You don't say where you are or what you're trying to monitor, that information would help in the decision of what scanner to buy.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
W4KRR said:
Why are you looking for a scanner that can have "mods" done to it? What type of "mods" are you referring to? Most of today's scanners cannot be modified anyway.

A couple of good scanners are the PRO-97 or the PRO-2055 if you don't need digital. You don't say where you are or what you're trying to monitor, that information would help in the decision of what scanner to buy.

He already started a thread along the same lines. He seems inordinately concerned about mods. As you stated, little to no modifications can be made to today's scanners. I also brought up the location issue - tell us where you are so we can make recommendations on what model of scanners would be your best choices. We wanna help, but it's difficult if we don't know the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.