Nooelec Dongle not being detected by USB extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesZA

Doesn't Play Well With Others
Banned
I have 2 nooelec smart dongles.

One can be detected by a usb extensions but the other one can't. The one that can't be detected by USB can be detected when directly being plugged into the computer USB. I have tried different ports with usb extension cables and different cables and it still cannot be detected. I have replaced this dongle prior before.

What could be the problem? is the dongle defective?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 nooelec smart dongles.

One can be detected by a usb extensions but the other one can't. The one that can't be detected by USB can be detected when directly being plugged into the computer USB. I have tried different ports with usb extension cables and different cables and it still cannot be detected. I have replaced this dongle prior before.

What could be the problem? is the dongle defective?
Have you using the cable that works with the other dongle? Have you tried using the dongle that only works directly in a port with the cable that works with the other dongle? I've used USB 3.0 extension cables up to 10' without issues; the USB 3.0 cables can handle a bit more power and *probably* have a bit less resistance.

DRL-XM43

I have found USB 3 port does not play nice with my dongles except when I use a powered USB 3 hub then all is good.

If you have 2 USB2 ports on the computer try those.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have found USB 3 port does not play nice with my dongles except when I use a powered USB 3 hub then all is good.

If you have 2 USB2 ports on the computer try those.
To clarify, you can use a USB3 extension cable with a USB2 port. The dongles themselves are USB2.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
These things are sensitive to voltage shifts. If your using your computer usb ports with cable extenders its possible your getting voltage loss or the computer cant provide enough power when multiple dongles and cable extenders are used.
I recomend using powered external USB ports.

JamesZA

Banned
I loaded the driver Zadig for both.

The nooelec are the same for both:

I didn't contact nooelec support. The length of the cable is 3 ft.

I dono why its doing this. one nooelec its working fine for the other its not working fine.

DRL-XM43

I loaded the driver Zadig for both.

The nooelec are the same for both:

I didn't contact nooelec support. The length of the cable is 3 ft.

I dono why its doing this. one nooelec its working fine for the other its not working fine.

is it the same when you swap the dongles over - one works (that didn't)

in other words are they both proven to work

JamesZA

Banned
yes they are both proven to work, same exact dongles, one works with usb extension one doesn't.

the one that doesn't work with usb extension works when directly connected.

DRL-XM43

This is a longshot but I dimly remember having USB issues.

1. If it is a laptop, shut down - unplug everything including power, remove the battery, press the start button hold it down for at least 30 seconds.

2. replace the battery, replace power - start it and try it out.

If that didn't work.

1. Unplug all from ports - in device manager uninstall usb root hub (usb 3.0) and USB Root Hub.
2 Shut down.

Repeat the first solution

re do zadig make sure to do only device ending in zero. You only need to do one of them.

JamesZA

Banned
I tried to use the dongle on a different computer. Same issue.

JamesZA

Banned
On this thread it was said that the dongle is corrupt.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Some quirks/experiences I've noticed when using dongles over the past several years:
Some computers don't like you moving the dongle from one USB port to the other, it's almost like it developed a memory for the dongle to be in that port. I keep using same port all the time if possible.
I've used USB cables several feet long with no problems.
On a few occasions I had to reload the driver after a Windows update.
A few times the driver had to be reloaded for no apparent reason, so I made a shortcut to the Zadig program on my computer.
As DRL-XM433 said, and it's a goog point, shutting down the computer and rebooting will sometimes solve the problem. That's the first thing I do when a problem occurs.
Generally I get a little nervous when SDR# has revisions. Before doing that I always save my frequency file and reload it into the new version so I don't lose my Frequency Manager memories.
These are not criticisms as SDR# is freeware and a great program. n SDR dongle and SDR# has opened up many listening opportunities for me.

I hope you find the solution to your problem and the comments from previous posts are great. As a last resort, email Nooelec, they are tops as far as responding to problems.

DRL-XM43

Oh ok - it is that same dongle,

On this thread it was said that the dongle is corrupt.

To confirm the state of your dongles run this test.

rtltest.PNG

JamesZA

Banned
I think its a defective / counterfeit from Amazon. It shouldn't be doing this, the other one I got from Nooelec website had no problems. I've shipped it back.

hamradionl

@JamesZA,
I use 15x RTLSDR on 4x 7 slots USB HUBS so know how it work.... and what be cause trouble
Also use USB extension cables for my SAT dishes

Are both the same nooelec type or model?
Nooelec have Bias-T?
How long is USB extension cable?
Did you test with powered USB HUB

JamesZA

Banned
I shipped it back.

Is Bias - T better? Should I get that its $1 more.

This is the one I had.

This is the one with Bias-T

JamesZA

Banned
What exactly is it used for, could you describe specific instances?

I've read an article it is used to check voltage with a multimeter..

Status
Not open for further replies.