Norad frequencies in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
I moved to Tennessee several years ago from the Northeast where I used to listen to NORAD all the time off the coast. Since I have been here I have not heard anything on their regular frequencies.They must have to scamble aircraft from time to time for unidentified aircraft over the Nashville area or Tennessee in General? Does anyone have any suggestions on which unit would cover this area or frequencies to listen to?

CORN

Premium Subscriber
First off, unfortunately for monitors in the Mid-TN area NORAD pretty much ignores this area. No, there are never any fighters scrambled over Nashville for any stray aircraft. Matter of fact this area is SO ignored by the dept of defense when the President comes to town a CAP is not even established. And also since this area is so ignored their are no such things as an unidentified a/c. Nope, Nashville is wide open to an aerial assault since their are no fighter coverage within 500 or so miles. Prob the closest is Montgomery, AL but they would do no good as their too busy "playing" in the MOA's in S AL for the Alabama and Georgia monitors to here.

The only fighters i ever here are with ATC (mostly Navy) and they are either way North of Nashville or way South never right over the top. And thats only for cross-country flights from one Navy base to another more inland. And they are unarmed for the most part. You left a military hotbed my friend, a hotbed that will never be found in Middle Tn. Now after all the above truth, the only NORAD freq you might hear in this area is 364.2 and thats usually a AWACS passing thru or maybe a Jstars and they're mostly radio checks. Then they go silent. Sorry to break the news.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I'm so disgusted with the lack of military comms here i can't even spell. Sorry.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
Well I guess I will have to listen to commercial traffic it just isn't very exciting.

N8IAA

Try the air to air refueling frequencies. The best source for milair freqs is the Monitoring Times Military blog. I get daily traffic in N GA.
Larry

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I would trade listening to 5 Military Jets to listening to one Comercial Jet any day. The Good Military Jets are encrypted. Just a bunch of white noise is all I hear.

Hmm, every time i travel thru your fine state when i get south of Birmingham i manage to snag great milcoms (sad i have to drive to hear "masks"). Your BAMA boys are always in the clear on their VHF a/a and with the MOA entrances and exits. They are at least when i've gone thru there. You're probably hearing the Jstars orbits and let me tell you that your not missing a whole lot. I have an orbit just to the north of me and yes they are 100 percent (for the most part) encrypted. But it's just the backend guys talking to each other simulating and pretending. I'm guessing but that might be what your hearing. I'll be going thru there again in April so i'll have my ears on.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
Tennessee military traffic

I do listen to all the air refueling tracks in my area. I guess That is about all there is to listen to. I hate to listen to scrambled comms just to get one in the clear once in a while. I appreciate everyones help and if I find anything interesting I will be sure to post it.

rma0100

I'm hearing a lot of refueling here in TN on several frequencies. 240.350 being one of the most popular. Look up the Ft. Campbell frequencies, put them in and you'll hear quite a bit of traffic on 225-400 Mhz. Also 121.500 is quite active here in TN with Military. I'm hearing this stuff every day.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing a lot of refueling here in TN on several frequencies. 240.350 being one of the most popular. Look up the Ft. Campbell frequencies, put them in and you'll hear quite a bit of traffic on 225-400 Mhz. Also 121.500 is quite active here in TN with Military. I'm hearing this stuff every day.

You've got to be very close to Ft Campbell to hear the stuff there. The helo's stay too low to pick up from a distance. True, fixed wing traffic goes into there for refuels and transports supporting the 101st. But the original topic was hear the cool NORAD and TAC Comms this fella was used to hearing in the NE. Those do not exist in middle TN . Combat aircraft may use Campbell's MOA's twice a year or so but that's pushing it. Yes, refueling tracks aren't too far off. But those are 99 percent transports or AWACS/Jstars refueling training. Nothing exciting there. Hardly ever any masks on the close by tracks. As for 121.5? I have it in too and all I hear are airliners trying to get a hold of someone else to get them on the right ATC frequency. Just cause they call it "Guard" doesn't mean military is using it. Need to listen a little closer. Give me an example of what you hear. I want to know what I'm missing.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Howdy

You might also explore the Mil Satcom arena too,and will need either a pre-amp or RHC Antenna to likely pull in those comm's, but might be worth a though? Even here in Dallas the MilAir is sometimes not very active unless a Reserve or Guard Unit is on duty that week/weekend...

Thx

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.