• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Norad On Heightened Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjf

COLORADO SPRINGS AIR FORCE INSTALLATION ON HEIGHTENED ALERT

An Air Force installation in Colorado Springs and one near Denver are operating with heightened security.

The Cheyenne Mountain Air Station, which houses NORAD, is now at "Bravo-Plus".

There are five levels of alert: normal, Alpha (low), Bravo (medium), Charlie (high) and Delta (critical). “Bravo-Plus” is slightly higher than a medium threat level.

The Cheyenne Mountain Air Station And Buckley Air Force Base are among four installations in the country at the higher alert level ordered last week by then- Acting-Commander of Air Force Space Command, General Fred Klotz.

Space Command would not comment on the reason for the security increase.

The order also affects Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and Patrick air force base in Florida.

BMT

NORAD on Heightened Alert

CAP over the Shuttle Launch area today.

BMT

USAPatriot

I was stationed at NORAD from '78-82. Hellofa place to lose your tan...

I noted the US Marine contingent providing security for the astronauts this morning. You had to look pretty closely at the video to see them in the background as the astronauts were getting into their van for the ride to the pad, but they were definitely keeping a close eye on things. Odd that I'd never seen them before. -Rod-

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Astronaut security forces have ALWAYS had quite the visible arsenal selection...

USAPatriot

I guess I never noticed. Afterall, the camera is on the astronauts for a reason ;) -Rod-

rdale

I can't imagine how a badguy would get past the boatloads of security they always have in place, but it's still cool seeing those guns sitting at the ready when the astronauts do their walk!

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
My father, who used to work in the space program, and now lives in Merritt Island, FL (Cape Canaveral) told me once that he knew of people (employees) who used to hide out in the forest (jungle, swamp, whatever you call it in Florida) and watch the launches from about 1/4 mile away. He told me that the noise was so loud that they could hardly stand it.

kb2vxa

Banned
Considering the lax shuttle inspections that have again at the last minute turned up loose bits like the ones that caused the fiery disaster terrorism is the least of the astronauts' worries, the Marines can't protect them from NASA.

They need some rednecks with a box of chewing gum and a roll of duct tape and someone to chew the gum for the rednecks. Any you good ole boys out there got some teeth? I've got the duct tape.

I_10_92

Cool.. a space program SWAT team! That's gotta be a sweet gig... train train train all day.. :eek:)
But back to the topic at hand... maybe they were "Space Marines" :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.