NORAD to Conduct Exercise Flights Over Phoenix 8/12/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
NORAD to Conduct Exercise Flights Over Phoenix

The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) will conduct exercise flights tomorrow, Aug. 12, 2014, as they practice intercept and identification procedures. The exercise will occur over Phoenix between 10 a.m. and noon MDT.
People in this area may hear and/or see NORAD-controlled fighter jets in close proximity to a military or military contracted aircraft, which will be taking on the role of aircraft of interest. Although they are scheduled for the morning, the flights could be delayed or cancelled due to weather concerns.

View article...

mancow

Database Admin
Seems strange it's in the news but I guess the fact it's a major city makes it a big deal otherwise the morons would think it's another 911. But here it happens all the time. They are doing it right now. I am receiving have quick timing hacks as I type this. They have been calling out targets all morning.

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Mancow, on what freqs do you normally monitor this type of NORAD exercise? It might be different in AZ, but it will give us somewhere to start other than the well known USAF freqs in the area.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
Oh cool I just posted this in mil com forum- shoulda checked here first! Guess I will go check on mil freqs on scanner see if I pick up anything. Not a huge mil air scanner fan but this sounds kind of interesting considering its not every day...

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Mancow, on what freqs do you normally monitor this type of NORAD exercise? It might be different in AZ, but it will give us somewhere to start other than the well known USAF freqs in the area.

123.10mhz - Callsign "CAP Flight-228" (Civil Air Patrol), and broadcasts from a "USAF" entity
271.00mhz - Combat Air Patrol reaction, also referred to as "CAP" sometimes, is provided by the
162ndFW F-16's, Callsign - Cougar.

Comment : I'm hearing it down here right now on my PRO-2006 :) with the standard whip antenna provided by the maker, but not on the Uniden BCD536HP connected to an external Discone antenna :(
In case some of you can not hear it on the new radio, try the old stand-bys!!

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well, either the time was moved up or changed.

Seems the Cougars are on their way home here to Tucson.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Event was to occur 9:00am to 11:00am local time. I guess they finished and didn't need the whole 2 hours.

I was only able to start monitoring around 10:00am local time. I caught a few quick transmissions on 271.000 around 10:00am and all is quiet now.

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
123.10mhz - Callsign "CAP Flight-228" (Civil Air Patrol), and broadcasts from a "USAF" entity
271.00mhz - Combat Air Patrol reaction, also referred to as "CAP" sometimes, is provided by the
162ndFW F-16's, Callsign - Cougar.

And CAP [Civil Air Patrol, not to be confused with CAP - Combat Air Patrol :roll:] flight coordination started on Mt Ord R49 [148.125] and moved to R18 White Tanks [145.150.]

123.1 was the "121.5" for this excersise; CAP 239 was coordinating the flight's movements and Cougar was challenging the target.

Also brief transmissions on 282.6 regarding CAP coordination with the CAP flights :wink:

Last part of the excercise had the target intercepted and splashed by Cougar 2, coord 3347.098 by 111.55910

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
They have landed at KTUS.

Could have also cut it short because of the weather in your area.

mancow

Database Admin
They seem to change each time but I will try to make better notes next time and post it.

EDIT: 341.750 is a big one

cellphone I will send you a PM with more info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.