• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Norad to leave Cheyenne Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9swx

Premium Subscriber
poltergeisty said:
I guess this means no more StarGate on Sci-Fi
I wondered why they went to Atlantis on tonight's episode. They blamed it on the silly Ori taking over the galaxy. Typical government covering up stuff again. ;)

jparks29

that is NOT good....

that means that they feel that their current place is not secure/safe....that ALSO means the Gov't already has a more secure, more hardened facility somewhere else, and we don't know where it is...(although, I guess that could be a good thing)...

The US NEVER declassifies projects/devices/places/weapons,etc until/unless it's replacement is already in place,or it's already obsolete....

USAPatriot

If you read what's going on though, it's the admin side of stuff that's going to move. Most people don't make the distinction between NORAD and Cheyenne Mtn. Operations Center (Formally known as the Cheyenne Mountain Complex). The terms are generally used interchangably. I was assigned to NORAD for 4 years, but NORAD exists in other places besides the mountain. I physically worked inside the complex though. Command and Control, Missile Warning, Intelligence and medical, food services and other activities goes on inside and from what I can tell from the article, none of that is going to cease. -Rod-

cellblock776

Rod,
Since you worked there... What's the general attitude regarding SG-1? The press I've seen always talks it up about how the Air Force supports the show since it shows such a positive view of their people. Sure it's Sci-fi but it's good PR for them. Is that the feeling you got while there?

USAPatriot

Heh. There was no SG-1 when I was there. It was 78-82. But, speaking as one that was AF AND there, I'd say yeah, they'd probably view it favorably. It shows them in a generally good light as a defensive rather than an offensive command, shows a decent level of competence but also gives a realistic look a people's flaws, including those in the military. They maybe aren't so happy with the occasional lapse in military bearing and probably wish there was more attention paid to small details that most civilians would never notice. Placement of medals on uniforms is sometimes wrong, haircuts are often out of reg, etc. But overall I think they are probably satisfied. -Rod-

Status
Not open for further replies.