Norfolk Civil Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

elephant

When I lived in Norfolk, PD use to activate the tornado sirens by sending DMTF tones over 39.940

My question is, do they still activate the sirens that way?

Also, when Norfolk had a weather service office out at the airport, the NOAA broadcast were sent up
the KXNE tower on 455 Mhz. Now that the broadcast come out of the Valley office, does anyone know
how the broadcast is sent from Valley up to Carroll? Do they use a microwave relay, or is it sent by
phone lines.

Redneck0410

I have not heard of Norfolk PD activating the sirens like that. Only channels I monitor in regards to that are the Norfolk Fire 800 channel and the pager frequency of 155.085.

Redneck0410

I've heard the "Evac" tones activated on the 155.085 only... of course, my scanner ain't set to search either. Sorry I can't help ya out more.

elephant

I've heard the "Evac" tones activated on the 155.085 only... of course, my scanner ain't set to search either. Sorry I can't help ya out more.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Just as an experiment, could someone monitor 39.94 or 155.085
during the next siren test. I believe it will be May 2nd at 10 am. See if you hear DMTF (telephone) tones
when the sirens kick in. Also, the city use to use 154.98 Maybe they use that to trigger the sirens.

Jerry at Empire Electronics use to do the repairs on the sirens back in the 80's. I suppose I could ask him.

There is no relevent need to have this information, I was just curious. If they still send the signal over
39.94, that means the frequency hasn't been abandoned.

Redneck0410

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Just as an experiment, could someone monitor 39.94 or 155.085
during the next siren test. I believe it will be May 2nd at 10 am. See if you hear DMTF (telephone) tones
when the sirens kick in. Also, the city use to use 154.98 Maybe they use that to trigger the sirens.

Jerry at Empire Electronics use to do the repairs on the sirens back in the 80's. I suppose I could ask him.

There is no relevent need to have this information, I was just curious. If they still send the signal over
39.94, that means the frequency hasn't been abandoned.

I've never heard DMTF tones on 155.085, just to let you know. I also have the feed for the Norfolk area so it'd be easy to find out. If you have Winamp on your computer, I do broadcast alpha tags which tells you what channel you're listening to. If you don't have winamp, you can listen on the java web player. Here is the link: Madison County Sheriff, Norfolk Police, and Fire Live Scanner Audio Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.