Norfolk Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
It's started, in Norfolk they have changed 4 voice channels so far. channels removed so far 852.1625,853.1625, Channels added 856.6375 and 858.6625 Pro 96 seems to be tracking ok, Will keep an eye on trunker tonite

Mike

richrowl

Rebanding in Norfolk ???

Is this the true rebanding or just frequency changes. I understand that in rebanding the FCC will be changing the channel numbers assigned to each frequency. Current internal firmware/software in most, if not all, scanners will be sending a channel number to the wrong frequency making trunking impossible. Very few scanners are currently going to
have firmware upgrades available. Most scanners may become useless and unable to trunktrack after rebanding.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
They had to give up the .1625 freqs due to rebanding. the .1625 will be NSPAC channels Guess in reality it's a channel change so far.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
My 2096 is showing the new 858.6625 in use a few times. Fortunately I only have 3 trunk trackers which are not CC only scanners. ScanCat fixes 2 and my wife uses the third but never listens to Norfolk.:lol:

scanjunkie

That looks like channel reassignment...not rebanding. The frequencies that were lost are not in the spectrum to be rebanded. The 866 to 869 spectrum is the one in question. If the freqs in the system your are monitoring are all in the 850 range you should still be able to TT after rebanding happens for real if I'm not mistaken...

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
scanjunkie said:
If the freqs in the system your are monitoring are all in the 850 range you should still be able to TT after rebanding happens for real if I'm not mistaken...
Apparently it will because these two new freqs are working in my scanners. Strangely, checking Norfolk with my 785D which is NOT programmed in CC only mode, both 856.6375 and 858.6625 appear on the display during use but neither are programmed.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up Mike.

N

N_Jay

Don't jump to the conclusion that a system needs some major reconfiguration for rebanding.

Al the FCC and TA care is that you are off the old channels and on the new ones.
Any method that gets you there is acceptable.

Some manufacturers are pushing for massive updates so they don't need to support multiple versions of the channel assignment software.

portsmouth

Norfolk rebanding

Hi guys.
Joe here in Portsmouth. About 3 weeks ago, Norfolk borrowed a portable radio programming cable from us for the rebanding of their system.

I am not sure of all the details but they have to move one cc and two voice channels.

Anyway, it is definetly rebanding in progress.

Portsmouth will have to move two voice channels out of the guard zone when we start our rebanding.

Regards, Joe

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Joe,

Are you referring to these freqs? 860.21250 & 860.96250* If so, don't they fit the waiver zone?

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Maybe rebanding was a bad choice of words LOL ? I reset trunker and cleared all the freq and all have reappeared except for 852.1625,853.162,858.9875,859.9875 the other freq in question were 860.2375 and 860.9875 per the 800 transistion administrator. But I notice the CC has not changed in 24hrs either

N

N_Jay

Webodisk said:
Maybe rebanding was a bad choice of words LOL ? I reset trunker and cleared all the freq and all have reappeared except for 852.1625,853.162,858.9875,859.9875 the other freq in question were 860.2375 and 860.9875 per the 800 transistion administrator. But I notice the CC has not changed in 24hrs either

Rebanding is the right word.:D

gcgrotz

portsmouth said:
Hi guys.
Joe here in Portsmouth. About 3 weeks ago, Norfolk borrowed a portable radio programming cable from us for the rebanding of their system.

Regards, Joe

As a former resident, I can say this with a smile on my face....

Can't they afford their own cable?

or

You'll never see that cable again!

Cheers...

portsmouth

Norfolk rebanding.

Joe here.
I am not sure exactly what they are doing and on what freqs.
I do remember to the effect that Norfolk was going to move all of the local government (Non public safety) talkgroups first. Also to the effect that they have a new codeplug in the controller with the new cc and will shut off the cc that is to be moved. Then program portables with new cc freq and after they are programmed, turn that cc channel back on.

I think what I just said makes sense!
The channels that they are moving are in the Nextel range so there is a bit of a rush to move them.

The two Portsmouth channels to be moved are not in the Nextel range. Our two freqs
are in the guard band area between public safety and the Nextel range. There is no big hurry to move ours. Will let the 800 T/A people handle that one.

OK guys, keep in touch.

Joe.

portsmouth

Norfolk rebanding

As a follow up, we did get the programming cable back. They borrowed it so the could run 2-3 programming stations at the same time.

Well, I was never worried about the cable. I have known their senior technician since the mid 1980's. He is the best technician I have ever known. Over the years we have worked together on mutual aid and tracking down interference.

I hold the city of Norfolk radio shop at the highest level of respect and they can borrow anything from us at any time. They would and have done the same for us.They are really good people.

Anyway, when we move our two channels, i will get back on here and let you know what we are doing as soon as I figure it out.

Regards, Joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.