Norfolk Southern 900 MHz Usage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Have never seen 900 MHz licenses for railroads before and curious how frequently they are used and what for. Several new 900 MHz frequencies granted for NS in NC this week.

Attachments

• Norfolk-Southern 900.pdf
    75.4 KB · Views: 35

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the FCC site for call sign KNNT791, it looks like NS is using this license for "Automatic Equipment Identification (AEI)".

ATCS is very common in the 900 MHz band but usually does not operate in the 902 to 928 ISM band that this license is for.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
@kruser is correct. The ATCS frequency pairs are 896-897 MHz and 935-936 MHz. Also, I believe the ATCS (radio code line) licenses are part of a ribbon license that the AAR requested and is not usually found for specific railroads any longer. However, AEI does still use licenses per railroads and is much lower power.

nd5y

Look at the radio service code. Radiolocation LN 902-928 MHz Location Narrowband (non-multilateration). That is usually for stuff like toll tag readers and RFID readers. I don't know what railroad equipment that would be.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
@kruser is correct. The ATCS frequency pairs are 896-897 MHz and 935-936 MHz. Also, I believe the ATCS (radio code line) licenses are part of a ribbon license that the AAR requested and is not usually found for specific railroads any longer. However, AEI does still use licenses per railroads and is much lower power.
If I'm not mistaken, there's a plan in place to relocate some of the ATCS 900 MHz frequencies for RCL to a new grouping of frequencies. Something to do with one of the 5G cellular bands I think. I think the change is to group the users together frequency wise and establish a small guard band between services (users). I don't know if this was approved by the FCC yet but the last I read, all the Class 1's and AAR were on board with the change as well as the cell carriers. I think several of the radios were also capable of the frequency changes making the cost to make the change minimal.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
If I'm not mistaken, there's a plan in place to relocate some of the ATCS 900 MHz frequencies for RCL to a new grouping of frequencies. Something to do with one of the 5G cellular bands I think. I think the change is to group the users together frequency wise and establish a small guard band between services (users). I don't know if this was approved by the FCC yet but the last I read, all the Class 1's and AAR were on board with the change as well as the cell carriers. I think several of the radios were also capable of the frequency changes making the cost to make the change minimal.

Do you know what the new frequencies in use would be?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Do you know what the new frequencies in use would be?
I'm not certain anything has been finalized but all the info is in the linked PDF at the FCC site.

Hopefully that link works!

It also does not contain any road specific frequencies yet and some frequencies are okay as they are. I didn't read into it a lot but I think the SD9 radios would still work if they do make the change.

This link should take you directly to the FCC page that has the PDF link about this.

Last edited:

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I'm not certain anything has been finalized but all the info is in the linked PDF at the FCC site.

Hopefully that link works!

It also does not contain any road specific frequencies yet and some frequencies are okay as they are. I didn't read into it a lot but I think the SD9 radios would still work if they do make the change.

This link should take you directly to the FCC page that has the PDF link about this.

I glanced through the FCC Fact sheet on the 900MHz transition. Page 44 mentions cancellation of the current nationwide license by Anterix, who is the holder of the ATCS channel license, and in turn, AAR will be licensed for use of a paired wideband channels between 896-896.125 and 935-935.125. Whether this means the ATCS channels will transition to that split, which is just below the current ATCS channels, or if this means they will change technologies, I'm not sure yet.

Mike

iceman977th

Feed Provider
BNSF uses a mix of technologies so unifying them into a single technology makes sense. But as far as NS goes, with how much money is invested in their microwave and codeline networks, I don’t see them doing a mass migration any time soon, but I could be wrong. Why would the FCC give the AAR 250khz of spectrum across 20 total channels for no uses? And what will the railroads do in non-PTC CTC territory like branch lines?

Mike

Reactions: RRR

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
BNSF uses a mix of technologies so unifying them into a single technology makes sense. But as far as NS goes, with how much money is invested in their microwave and codeline networks, I don’t see them doing a mass migration any time soon, but I could be wrong. Why would the FCC give the AAR 250khz of spectrum across 20 total channels for no uses? And what will the railroads do in non-PTC CTC territory like branch lines?

Mike

As far as branch lines go I'd assume they have some framework to patch each other to their local Class I' system. Otherwise, maybe the current systems will be kept as a backup?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Most likely change in technology BNSF is migrating off ATCS radio codeline here is a link to what BNSF is doing

I have not heard of a single thing relating to NS moving off UHF to Satellite.

That is extremely expensive, and NS just completed PTC. If NS was going to change, they would have done so during this last change.

(Extremely costly, unfunded mandate)

Keep in mind, NS is underway with PSR, and is busy shedding locomotives, yards, people, and about to lease out more lines.

Changing frequencies is not that difficult, and is much more inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.