Norman new 6 site phase II system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Nice scanner, Ken! That should serve you well! I have been following that unit in the Forums, and it sounds like Uniden is providing firmware upgrades to cure some of the issues many people have reported. As far as the P25 system goes, me and the other Technicians are working diligently to get the system fully active... hopefully by April 1st. Follow the progress here, and on RadioReference. The system info is available there. You should create a 'Favorites List' and make sure to turn ID Search 'ON.' New Talkgroups are becoming active all the time. You can jot them down as you hear them. Hope you enjoy it!! You and I have come a long way since the 10 meter FM days, eh?? lol

I am glad we have an actual tech on this forum that actually posts and interacts with the other users on this forum.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
3101 and 3501 showing up in the Discovery logs on my 436 as ENCRYPTED. But also as DIGITAL. So enc-capable but maybe not always enc. No identifiable blips on the non-enc recordings.

It appears that each group is being tested both ways, ENC and ITC. Filling up my 436, but that's OK. :)

n5bew1

Hey Jeff this is a nice scanner but some days I am as dumb as I look. I am still having trouble getting Norman's system to talk to me. I think I have it in favorites and I think I have ID search on but something still isn't clicking. It is certainly a long way from 10 FM but I still have an old Comtronix FM-80 sitting in the shack and a dead Azden PCS4800 in the closet.:)

S

simpilo

Well just for fun I saw the Norman system control channel this morning just to the right of 851.1875MHZ in FMP24 CC display. Kind of weak but enough of it was there to decode it. All I saw was L/O and FNE messages here in Downtown OKC. For the RTL-SDR to hear it with indoor antennas with RF Gain set to 29.7 I thought I was doing well just to hear Norman's APCO P25 control tower. There are quite a few buildings blocking the path. The antenna is NooElec's RatlSnake antenna. The helical 800mhz stubby on a magnet mount attached to a big coffee tin (100 percent metal not the cardboard kind. Buy the Family Gourmet coffee if you want to try it) Enough off a ground plane to work.

that antenna is plenty resonant because I could cup that little helical in my hand and watch the strong signals weaken but still enough signal.

Oh, The flightaware orange dongle has a robust built in LNA that works 350MHZ to about 2GHZ that also contributed to being able to hear Norman in a bad signal environment. Best $18 spent.

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Oh, The flightaware orange dongle has a robust built in LNA that works 350MHZ to about 2GHZ that also contributed to being able to hear Norman in a bad signal environment. Best $18 spent.

That all sounds fun ... but ... got any links (Amazon or something) that shows all these toys ... sorry, tools?

S

simpilo

That all sounds fun ... but ... got any links (Amazon or something) that shows all these toys ... sorry, tools?
Floghtaware Pro:
https://www.amazon.com/FlightAware-...ightaware+pro&qid=1553891980&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Nooelec Ratlsnake M5 antenna set: (I use the black stubby with the blue rings)
https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-RaTL...c+m5&qid=1553892066&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull
Coffee tin
At your nearest Family Dollar store. Look in the isle for the big can of Family Gourmet its $7. okay coffee but the can is a nice 850mhz ground plane. Put the coffee in a large freezer bag so you won't waste $7. Sounds silly but we gotta be intuitive making rtl-sdr work lol!

Last edited:
S

simpilo

oh btw, monitoring voice isnt so lucky, Not enough signal with the other dongle without a built in LNA and the helical 800 mhz antenna.

S

simpilo

Sure is a lot of testing...ermm maybe radios being programmed? Tons of FNE messages in CC box

Attachments

• FNEGalore.PNG
    FNEGalore.PNG
    234.1 KB · Views: 27

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Yes... 3113 is OUPD
3200 is NFD Primary
3100 will be NPD DC
others active soon...

3113 is (presumably temporarily) relaying traffic from the OUPD OKWIN TG. I've got the 780 and the 436 side-by-side here at N5UWY and there is quite a noticeable delay between when the 780 receives the traffic and when the 436 receives it. :) Based on what I was hearing on a single radio yesterday (and watching RIDs) I think the same thing is going on with CART.

Before anyone jumps in and whines about how awful the new system is, remember that it's not yet "in production" for most departments. Relax. They're still commissioning the system. Save your whining for LSM!!

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
3113 is (presumably temporarily) relaying traffic from the OUPD OKWIN TG. I've got the 780 and the 436 side-by-side here at N5UWY and there is quite a noticeable delay between when the 780 receives the traffic and when the 436 receives it. :) Based on what I was hearing on a single radio yesterday (and watching RIDs) I think the same thing is going on with CART.

Yep... patched from OKWIN, but there have been some "live" tests... especially on CART. We were caught "off-guard" one day when they started this... until we figured out what they did

Before anyone jumps in and whines about how awful the new system is, remember that it's not yet "in production" for most departments. Relax. They're still commissioning the system. Save your whining for LSM!!

Only temporary. They caught us off-guard the week we were updating CART... until we figured out what they were doing. System sounds MUCH better 'live.'

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
The switchover from the OKWIN system was tentatively scheduled for the first week of April for PD/Fire, so it should be any day now.

It is a HUGE job, and the Harris Techs deserve HUGE praise for what they have done, and continue to do to get the system "live." My 'hat' is off to them...

WXVOST

Premium Subscriber
It is a HUGE job, and the Harris Techs deserve HUGE praise for what they have done, and continue to do to get the system "live." My 'hat' is off to them...

Indeed. I'm not criticizing the techs or any one group, just pointing out the original schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.