Norman new 6 site phase II system

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5bew1

NPD dispatch just advised all officers to use their (new) handhelds only today. More movement to the big switch.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Sure enough ... 3202 appears to be FG 2 and ENC. Good work, everyone!

Makes me dread whats planned for the OKC system. As stingy as they are about not saying a word about the status of the system I wouldn't be surprised if the whole city and every agency on the system were encrypted. We will never know until its too late.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Makes me dread whats planned for the OKC system. As stingy as they are about not saying a word about the status of the system I wouldn't be surprised if the whole city and every agency on the system were encrypted. We will never know until its too late.

If you, the taxpayer, knew how the agency in question conducted themselves, then the terrorists will have won. Or something.

I am always amused at how some cities are so concerned about "opsec" believing that it's the only thing standing between all that is good and total annihilation by terrorists ... and yet I can dial-up NYC PD and FD radio online (not to mention dozens - hundreds, I guess - of others). Says a lot about those cities, I guess.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Too bad we'll never get to hear most of it ;)

I assume NPD went encrypted because nothing has changed on my end scanner wise and now I no longer hear Norman PD on TG 3100 but I see that TG active a lot on the computer. The link on OKWIN is still in the clear.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
I assume NPD went encrypted because nothing has changed on my end scanner wise and now I no longer hear Norman PD on TG 3100 but I see that TG active a lot on the computer. The link on OKWIN is still in the clear.

You have something set wrong. TG 3100 is working fine for me on SDS100 and BCD439HP. Be sure you have the correct system frequencies/Control Channel.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
It appears that today NPD's OKWIN talk group is off. All the traffic I am hearing is all on the new system.

New system is sounding good! Job well-done! Took a LONG time to see this day, but it was no small job....

n5bew1

An hour after I posted the above Norman dispatch lost contact with all units in the field for a bit then the bridge from OKWIN to the new system came back on. Bugs you know.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
An hour after I posted the above Norman dispatch lost contact with all units in the field for a bit then the bridge from OKWIN to the new system came back on. Bugs you know.

Yep... I noticed that, Ken... lol. There have been many bugs.... but they're slowly dying off!

K9JLR

I have a friend down there who sent me a video demo of the new Harris XL200s in action that Norman PD is using. Apparently the ended up paying around $4500 per HT and $11,000 per in car unit. Right now the apparent plan is to leave the main dispatch channels in the clear, but plan on many other operations eventually being encrypted.

S

simpilo

Service Not Supported.

Just tried monitoring the new Norman system wih DSDPlus Fastlane 2.176. Norman is a bit far. I'm in cluttered, signal refraction prone downtown OKC. Did what I could. I see a lot of service not supported in many RID's. Supposedly they have radios trying to use the system not supported by those RID's?
(Patch/Simulcast messages where from the Oklahoma City P25 PII TDMA system being tested a few lines down you can see the Norman FCC data when I switched to the Norman CC channel.Also,for those who don't know, the red line in the spectrum display is the marker that follows the mouse displaying the frequency and not the frequency it is tuned at. The narrow translucent bar to the left is the tuned frequency. The green waveform represents the audio pass of the narrow translucent bar.))

Attachments

• servicenotsupported.PNG
    servicenotsupported.PNG
    216.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if Noble, CCSO and the VFDs are going to bite into these expensive radios?

Ken, I am hearing, "No" right now, but, of course, everything is subject to change as time goes on. It is a lot of money for some of these agencies to spend.... so it's a matter of 'wait and see....'

WXVOST

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if Noble, CCSO and the VFDs are going to bite into these expensive radios?

Little Axe FD eventually will have to purchase the new radios. For the foreseeable future, they'll have a patch from OKWIN to the Norman system. Excluding OUPD I don't believe any other public safety agencies are planning to join the system.

n5bew1

Jeff, I wonder what is going to happen to all the site 40 Norman's radio system hardware? Will OKWIN inherit it or will it all be yanked out an sent to the crusher.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
Jeff, I wonder what is going to happen to all the site 40 Norman's radio system hardware? Will OKWIN inherit it or will it all be yanked out an sent to the crusher.

No idea, Ken. They will keep it in service until such time as the new system is 'settled.' Who knows what will happen with it....

Status
Not open for further replies.