Norman PD's handhelds not working well

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5bew1

NPD has a person barricaded in a house around 48th NW and Robinson. No one could have predicted that
their handhelds wouldn't work very good in that RF hole in the ten mile flats. Lots of static.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
NPD has a person barricaded in a house around 48th NW and Robinson. No one could have predicted that
their handhelds wouldn't work very good in that RF hole in the ten mile flats. Lots of static.

Bet they had a satellite receiver on the water tank next to E4 back in the day. Pity you can't do that with a trunked system.

n5bew1

Bet they had a satellite receiver on the water tank next to E4 back in the day. Pity you can't do that with a trunked system.
Yep the DB-224 may still be there. Motorola in the beginning proposed a three site system. But that was too expensive so they made two sites the deal.

mam1081

Feed Provider
Got any examples where there is a an actual satellite receiver for a trunked repeater site? I don't mean another site, I mean just a satellite receiver?

See site 8 on the same system you are talking about. Its more like simulcast, but RX is still multi site.

n5bew1

Motorola proposed a 3 site simulcast system initially for Norman. They just have a 2 site simulcast system now. I don't know if it would be cost effective to add a whole new 13 repeater simulcast site to the far west side of Norman just to cover all the low spots on 48th NW. Maybe a lot of these handhelds are getting old and worn out??

plaws

Premium Subscriber
See site 8 on the same system you are talking about. Its more like simulcast, but RX is still multi site.

That's a whole "nother" site (and doesn't help in the area mentioned but never mind that).

As for "RX is still multi site" do you mean that incoming signals from multiple receivers are compared for quality with the winner being the one sent out the transmitter? 40 and 8 are both multi-site OKWIN nodes, of course.

n5bew1

I picked up most of it just fine. Sounded like they had more trouble talking to eachother than I did hearing them.

Unit radios as one would expect were fine but the handhelds did have a fair amount of static and dropping out of the receiver at the OU Energy center.

Status
Not open for further replies.