North Bend, NE Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Sounds like a large fire is going on around North Bend. Missed the address. They are in a defensive mode. Trying to stop the spread of the fire to adjacent buildings.
Prague using Prague Tower 852.4625
Fremont rural fire and North Bend Fire(Incident Command) are on 460.575
Cedar Bluffs Saunders Inglewood Tower 852.3125.
Schuyler and Rodgers FD are on their dispatch frequencies.
Nickerson FD, Hooper FD, Arlington FD (patched from ORION) and Winslow FD is on 453.300 Logan View Tower
Scribner FD 460.625

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
They have requested a diesel fuel tanker for fuel for the apparatuses.
They are using three sites to get water. Rodgers, Fremont Lakes, in between North Bend and cedar bluffs and of course the hydrants on Main st.
One of sites reported they could only fill four more tankers.

SCPD

QRT
Need a rescue squad for an injured firefighter. Slipped on the ice. Cedar Bluffs rescue squads is already on scene.

SCPD

QRT
Sounds like they are getting the fire under control. Command is starting to release personnel.

SCPD

QRT
Arlington, Cedar Bluffs and Linwood FDs are back in service assignment complete. The patch in dropped from WCFDisp to Logan View Tower.
The Fire Marshall is starting his investigation.

SCPD

QRT
There sure have been a lot of fires in our state lately. Thankfully, there haven't been deaths in any of these fires, with the exception of the expolsion in Schylur the other day.

There sure have been a lot of fires in our state lately. Thankfully, there haven't been deaths in any of these fires, with the exception of the expolsion in Schylur the other day.

It's about the time of year when it gets too cold, people are firing up portable heaters, and neglect to check up on it, causing most of the fires.

About 3 years ago, I fought a large house fire up in the American Eagle development, off of Blair High Rd and appx CR34, with Blair, Bennington, Ft. Calhoun, and Kennard assisting. It was caused by one of those forced air propane heaters. Wind kicked up and some of that Tyvex insulation ripped, got in front of the heater and ignited. The house was almost a total loss, and the neighboring house had siding that melted due to the heat of the fire.

Sad part was, the home was about complete, and the owners were going to close and move in within the month.

SCPD

QRT
I know many fires have been started by space heaters. I recall a fire here in Lincoln last year, just before Christmas, that happened only a few blocks from my own home. There was a blanket laying over the cord, and it got hot and ignited the blanket. Killed a pregnant woman who was due to deliver sometime that same week.

I was sitting in my computer one day a few years ago, and could smell that heated plastic/rubber scent. I had the space heater on and walked over and turned it off and felt the wire. Yup, it was hot. I had it plugged into one of those heavy duty orange outdoor extension cord. Damn plug melted/welded itself to the extension cord. I ended up throwing the space heater and the extension away. I was likely very near a fire. They come in handy, but they can also be deadly with improper use.

IceT

Water supply

I don't understand why they couldn't have got water from the Platte river. Also I think there's some small lakes just off the river south of town. There used to be some lakes there years ago but it's been a long time since I've been through there.

I don't understand why they couldn't have got water from the Platte river. Also I think there's some small lakes just off the river south of town. There used to be some lakes there years ago but it's been a long time since I've been through there.

Most likely the lakes were either too low or iced over, preventing the pumper truck to get a good draft off the water. Platte River may have retreated to it's winter level, where there is a small stream in the riverbed, making drafting impractical as well.

Getting water from a hydrant is a far more reliable solution for fire supression. I was listening to the radio traffic over ORION, and sounded like tanker-tender operations were going. A pumper stationed at a hydrant, and a continuous stream of tanker/pumper trucks were going to the pumper's location to fill up. At that house fire I was at, we had tanker-tender ops, since the nearest hydrant was over a mile away.

Status
Not open for further replies.