North Dakota New State Radio Network to debut in Minot

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Interesting read. I knew that from a previous article I read that they were making the switch. I’m interested to see how they build it out and also I’m interested now that this is coming out in Fargo and Cass will opt out of the Minnesota ARMER. Also I’m interested to know with going 800 MHz if they are planning for a Phase 1 or Phase 2. And I wonder if they will encrypt talkgroup mains full time or if it will be like Minnesota where only secondary talkgroup for that are.

RDnls05

What the scanner enthusiast need to do is ban together. Goto city hall and county meets, get the news outlets involved. Bring it to there attention we the people of the county/city pay are taxes which then pays for the radio system. Since the people pay for there wages and equipment they have the right to listen to ROUTE radio traffic.

guitarbrian30

Premium Subscriber
The SIRN 20-20 system will be a 800mhz P25 phase 2. Going to city and county meeting will not do anything. However, if a local fire dept does not want to sign up under the state system. They then have to still meet the interoperabilty requirements. Which using the national standard would be my go around. Google search North Dakota SIRN and you can read of what the system will be set up like. It does sound like it may have some VHF trunking backwards capabilty for the current VHF system.. it is not very clear on this section. Some radio traffic will be cryptic according to what I have read. overall 95% handheld coverage throughout the state is very impressive. 85% coverage inside of a building. right now the plan is to get all the current state sites upgraded and work on the dispatch centers.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for this information. I'm gonna be interested to see how things will evolve as times goes on with this system. I didn't see a date of when they were going to be starting to go live or a tentative date of this.

The SIRN 20-20 system will be a 800mhz P25 phase 2. Going to city and county meeting will not do anything. However, if a local fire dept does not want to sign up under the state system. They then have to still meet the interoperabilty requirements. Which using the national standard would be my go around. Google search North Dakota SIRN and you can read of what the system will be set up like. It does sound like it may have some VHF trunking backwards capabilty for the current VHF system.. it is not very clear on this section. Some radio traffic will be cryptic according to what I have read. overall 95% handheld coverage throughout the state is very impressive. 85% coverage inside of a building. right now the plan is to get all the current state sites upgraded and work on the dispatch centers.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Indeed. As living on the border of MN and ND, I saw that Minnesota ARMER 800 MHz system started in 2004 in the Twin Cities and then rolled outstate, just NW Minnesota finally got on within the last 4 years. Same goes for North Dakota's new system too.

qjschum

Premium Subscriber
I have been apart of the SIRN 20/20 talks and I can confirm that encryption will be used wide for Law Enforcement. The committee is still discussing if EMS and Fire should follow. However many believe there is not a need. I'll keep you all posted.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. I was wondering if they would full time encrypted mains or go to admin talkgroups like Minnesota and have their mains in the clear like Minnesota. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I agree too. As a user of the Minnesota 800 trunked system, all of our dispatch mains are in the clear along with our interop talkgroups. We have talkgroups that are designed for encryption but they are rarely used.