North Dakota New State Radio Network to debut in Minot

Status
Not open for further replies.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Interesting read. I knew that from a previous article I read that they were making the switch. I’m interested to see how they build it out and also I’m interested now that this is coming out in Fargo and Cass will opt out of the Minnesota ARMER. Also I’m interested to know with going 800 MHz if they are planning for a Phase 1 or Phase 2. And I wonder if they will encrypt talkgroup mains full time or if it will be like Minnesota where only secondary talkgroup for that are.

RDnls05

Central Minnesota, Western/Central North Dakota
What the scanner enthusiast need to do is ban together. Goto city hall and county meets, get the news outlets involved. Bring it to there attention we the people of the county/city pay are taxes which then pays for the radio system. Since the people pay for there wages and equipment they have the right to listen to ROUTE radio traffic.

guitarbrian30

The SIRN 20-20 system will be a 800mhz P25 phase 2. Going to city and county meeting will not do anything. However, if a local fire dept does not want to sign up under the state system. They then have to still meet the interoperabilty requirements. Which using the national standard would be my go around. Google search North Dakota SIRN and you can read of what the system will be set up like. It does sound like it may have some VHF trunking backwards capabilty for the current VHF system.. it is not very clear on this section. Some radio traffic will be cryptic according to what I have read. overall 95% handheld coverage throughout the state is very impressive. 85% coverage inside of a building. right now the plan is to get all the current state sites upgraded and work on the dispatch centers.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for this information. I'm gonna be interested to see how things will evolve as times goes on with this system. I didn't see a date of when they were going to be starting to go live or a tentative date of this.

The SIRN 20-20 system will be a 800mhz P25 phase 2. Going to city and county meeting will not do anything. However, if a local fire dept does not want to sign up under the state system. They then have to still meet the interoperabilty requirements. Which using the national standard would be my go around. Google search North Dakota SIRN and you can read of what the system will be set up like. It does sound like it may have some VHF trunking backwards capabilty for the current VHF system.. it is not very clear on this section. Some radio traffic will be cryptic according to what I have read. overall 95% handheld coverage throughout the state is very impressive. 85% coverage inside of a building. right now the plan is to get all the current state sites upgraded and work on the dispatch centers.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Indeed. As living on the border of MN and ND, I saw that Minnesota ARMER 800 MHz system started in 2004 in the Twin Cities and then rolled outstate, just NW Minnesota finally got on within the last 4 years. Same goes for North Dakota's new system too.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
I have been apart of the SIRN 20/20 talks and I can confirm that encryption will be used wide for Law Enforcement. The committee is still discussing if EMS and Fire should follow. However many believe there is not a need. I'll keep you all posted.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. I was wondering if they would full time encrypted mains or go to admin talkgroups like Minnesota and have their mains in the clear like Minnesota. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I agree too. As a user of the Minnesota 800 trunked system, all of our dispatch mains are in the clear along with our interop talkgroups. We have talkgroups that are designed for encryption but they are rarely used.

jason_58201

I remember 15 years ago when Fargo was on UHF, Cass Co was vhf and the city of grand forks was on an 800 analog trunk system and Grand Forks county fire was on uhf, with one department on 800, Grand Forks County SO was on vhf, 800 for car to car. Then the state went to digital vhf and mandated everyone switch so they all switched from the mess they had to digital vhf, and now 10 years later or so, they are going to have to all switch to another system. I think considering where everyone is at in their radio ssytems in ND it would have been more cost effective to go with vhf trunked. They probably wouldn't have to acquire any new tower sites than what they have now. It will be a very costly transition with having to acquire new radios, new dispatch consoles, new hardware. Tower space, tower land acquisitions because 800 doesn't travel as far as vhf. $$$$$$

Bismarck

KD0KWV
I think it will be interesting to see how long it does take them to roll this out statewide. In hope since I am in Bismarck that is will roll out sooner in my area. As qjschum said that the Law Enforcement will be encrypted but they are looking at if they should encrypt it or leave Fire and EMS in the clear. I can see it from both sides with why LE should be encrypted but I do like how MN does have it though. If they need to go private they just switch to encrypted channels when the need is called for. I recall when Mandan PD use to run in the clear and they would go encrypted if needed.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
Uodate:
LE is confirmed to be 100% Encrypted. This order is coming from ND Attorney General. FD and EMS will be open. They are still trying to figute out how there going to do paging. It sounds like they will use VHF for paging temporarly.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Uodate:
LE is confirmed to be 100% Encrypted. This order is coming from ND Attorney General. FD and EMS will be open. They are still trying to figute out how there going to do paging. It sounds like they will use VHF for paging temporarly.

Interesting. Is ND a home rule state? Ohio is, ant the state AG has no power to mandate that local agencies use encryption; it's solely a local decision.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Interesting that LE will be 100% encrypted. Does anyone have a good timeline on when this will start rolling out and the conversion live dates will go live? Also I have heard they are going Phase 2, this correct? I'm surprised they wouldn't go Phase 1 like Minnesota, cheaper models of radios to purchase that can go Phase 1 especially for smaller fire departments.

KG7PBS

Interesting that LE will be 100% encrypted. Does anyone have a good timeline on when this will start rolling out and the conversion live dates will go live? Also I have heard they are going Phase 2, this correct? I'm surprised they wouldn't go Phase 1 like Minnesota, cheaper models of radios to purchase that can go Phase 1 especially for smaller fire departments.

Phase 2 System Wide is cheaper Then P1 going to P2 down the Road.
2nd you can buy an Motorola APX900 with P2 for 1500$
Harris has its XG15 with P2 for around the Same price and then there Kenwood with the NX-5800 for 2000$

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
According to what I have read, two areas in the state may already be online as part of the Phase 1 initiative. They are Bismarck and Williston. A search through the 800 MHz band might reveal some new activity.

73's

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.