North Georgia area interoperability drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunyax

WSB-TV did a story today on a GEMA drill where several north Georgia agencies tested their interoperability capabilities:

Local News Videos | www.wsbtv.com

The video is entitled "First responders drill aims to save lives" (I can't seem to link directly to the video itself.) I saw a quick glimpse of someone holding a Uniden BCD396T or -XT digital scanner.

N8IAA

Watched the piece on the 6pm news. What it showed was a lot of different radios, different frequencies, and scanners for the interop:roll: They all learned (with the exception of Forsyth and Gwinnett) that interops doesn't exist. Some talk was about an IP based interop to be able to talk to each other. I truly wish I'd been in the shack today instead of at work. It would have been interesting. Noticed more than the two digital Unidens in the video.
Larry

k4sgt

The IP based interoperability system is Motobridge. The State of Georgia has a statewide Motobridge system that does a good job of interoperability. Here in Columbus it can be used to tie the local 800MHz SmartZone system to the GSP VHF conventional system or even the neighboring Phenix City, AL Police Department's UHF conventional system. It has a lot of potential as long as the civilian communications infrastructure is up and running (read AT&T). If a natural disaster was to cripple AT&T then Motobridge would be crippled also. In my oppinion, Motobridge is a great system for everyday use, but when it will be needed most (a statewide disaster) it will be useless.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
MotoBridge/GIN was a huge waste of taxpayer money if the purpose was as reported, to provide vital interoperability during major disasters. Anyone who has a basic understanding of critical communications knows civilian networks (both circuit switched and IP) become overloaded and subject to being offline. And were just another customer to "the phone company"

The best solutions are the simplest ones: common frequencies and field programmable VHF radios, ask any ham, or any woodland firefighter. During the wildfires in California, the expensive proprietary 800MHz trunking systems were ineffective. What did work for all the mutual aid agencies was using common VHF channels and portable repeaters. Caches of field programmable VHF radios allowed for on site programming and cloning, so everyone was on the same channels.

No dependence on Internet, or commercial networks, nor trunking controllers to coordinate response. The cost of such radios is a fraction of what these expensive and complex seems are, and prove themselves time and time again during real disasters. Having drills is great to identity resources, but in my opinion, money and time is wasted fancying vendors who want to push complex solutions.

It reminds me of the commercial a few years ago with a cat stuck in a tree, and all these first responders, command vehicles and people are standing around pondering what to do next when someone says simply "get a ladder!"

radiofan1

The IP based interoperability system is Motobridge. The State of Georgia has a statewide Motobridge system that does a good job of interoperability. Here in Columbus it can be used to tie the local 800MHz SmartZone system to the GSP VHF conventional system or even the neighboring Phenix City, AL Police Department's UHF conventional system. It has a lot of potential as long as the civilian communications infrastructure is up and running (read AT&T). If a natural disaster was to cripple AT&T then Motobridge would be crippled also. In my oppinion, Motobridge is a great system for everyday use, but when it will be needed most (a statewide disaster) it will be useless.

HAHA!!!! Let's not even consider the illegality of it! I guess we all know where you work, huh? :D

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Wait! Didn't Motherola guaranteed that if they bought a TRS there would be interoperability?

Wait! Didn't Motherola guaranteed that if they bought a DTRS there would be interoperability?

Wait! Didn't Motherola laugh all the way to the bank?

dlls1415

Watched the piece on the 6pm news. What it showed was a lot of different radios, different frequencies, and scanners for the interop:roll: They all learned (with the exception of Forsyth and Gwinnett) that interops doesn't exist. Some talk was about an IP based interop to be able to talk to each other. I truly wish I'd been in the shack today instead of at work. It would have been interesting. Noticed more than the two digital Unidens in the video.
Larry

So because you watched a news video you're able to come to the conclusion that interoperability doesn't exists? IE: "they all learned that interops doesn't exist", says you and on what basis? Unless you are involved in this type of exercise you're just throwing your opinion out there with nothing to support it.

There are actually three news clips on the WSBTV website about the exercise held at Six Flags and it reports that GEMA holds three of these each year to help address communication gaps. So based on that do you think they would continue to do them if they're not making progress from one exercise to the next? Without a coordinated effort to continually bring the agencies and vehicles together the gaps and inability to communicate would be much worse.

And the clips of scanners in the videos is just filler video while the reporter voice over is done. I saw a whole lot more of actual radio equipment and ACU-1000 interoperability solutions than I did of the one or two scanners that you mentioned so are likely just supplemental pieces of equipment in the vehicles.

nunyax

I heard another test being conducted Thursday morning, May 24th. White County's "mobile command" was coordinating the test and it was coming up on Hall County's "Hall 911" talkgroup. They were patching in White County, Helen PD, Habersham County ("LAW1", 155.190), Hall 911, and some mobile units.

One mobile unit was "78D2" and he gave his location once as "I-75, 25 miles north of Forsyth" and the next time as "I-75 Lamar County". White's "mobile command" stated he was calling 78D2 on UTAC43 (458.8625.) That's the first use of a UTAC channel I've heard around here. Does the Motobridge/GIN support UHF as well as VHF?

dlls1415

......... Does the Motobridge/GIN support UHF as well as VHF?

Yes the Motobridge system utilizes all types of frequencies statewide (VHF, UHF, 700/800, Marine, Amateur and Aviation. The system is a gateway system and takes audio from any source and retransmits it onto any other system that the original radio is patched to. It works in a very similar fashion as an ACU1000 but it's networked statewide and allows users over a very wide area (ie: statewide) to communicate with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.