North Lake Tahoe North Tahoe fire and CHP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1digitaltahoe

Cant find anything on the California side of North Tahoe except Placer county sheriffs. Any help? Am I in the right forum for this. Bob

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Look for the North Tahoe Fire Department, (not to be confused with the North Lake Tahoe Fire Department on the Nevada side), and Cal-Fire for eastern Placer County.

CHP is on the Gray channel.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
You are absolutely in the right forum, welcome!

Placer County database here (the north Tahoe/Truckee area has a couple fire tacs it looks like).

CalFire database here (2300 NEU, you're looking for NEU East 154.130 tone 131.8)

CHP database here (Valley Division, Chico Dispatch Center runs comms for the Truckee CHP office, 45.600 Base and 42.880 Mobiles tone 173.8)

1digitaltahoe

Hearing a bit of CHP on 45.600 but still at a loss on Kings beach fire that dispatches the other 6 sub stations here at the lake. Was 153.770 forever and I have tried many #s now with no success. I even know the fire chief and he was unable to help, he called there radio service and they were no help either.

1digitaltahoe

Dave I have those #s also and nothing, it was 153.770 forever and that as well nothing. Incline fire recently changed to a trunked system but that easy to find not the Cal side, I have studied the database to no avail. Bob

1digitaltahoe

Dave I have those #s also and nothing, it was 153.770 forever and that as well nothing. Incline fire recently changed to a trunked system but that easy to find not the Cal side, I have studied the database to no avail. Bob
One possible clue might be, when Incline fire responds to Kings Beach the say mutual aid with Grass Valley?

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Look at the FCC database under "North Tahoe Fire Protection District" that is how the radio license is held for that agency.

Type the name into the search box and search by name of the licensee.

1digitaltahoe

FCC database search says it should be 153.770 and 154.400 and there is nothing there? Those are the #s I listened to for decades. Bob

1digitaltahoe

I have and nothing but I think I found it in the Nevada shared system, there is a site in truckee one in Tahoe City and another in Glenbrook. Going to reprogram and see if thats it. Will let you know, thanks for the help. Bob

1digitaltahoe

Where is the last place you look for something? 154.130! One last question why is some of CHP so scratchy on 45.600 and 42.880? I have a good outdoor antenna on a 30 mast. Bob

markclark

Premium Subscriber
The Gray channel covers a wide mountianous area. CHP is using transmitters from Leviathan Peak near Markleeville, Scout Peak South of Lake Tahoe to Mt Pluto which sees over North Tahoe up to Peavine Peak near Reno and along Interstate 80 at Blue Canyon, Soda Springs and a low radio site near Truckee. There are other sites too.

What you are hearing are distant transmitters used for the various patrol areas so you're getting scratchy signals. The Truckee system is a on is a vote steer system that has never worked well in the Tahoe area. Frankly, the system sucks. The officers and dispatchers say negative things about their great radio system.

Anyway, the idea is for the dispatcher to use the nearest best signal transmitter to talk to the field units. Most of the time the field unit is repeated but that sometimes doesn't happen because the dispatcher uses a transmitter that isn't programmed to repeat the field unit transmission at that specific transmitter. It's really a crummy system compared to other CHP systems.

CHP may install a transmitter on Mt. Rose and that would solve a lot of the vote steer problems -- and would probably have the widest area coverage of any of the Tahoe area transmitters. We'll just have to see if that project happens.

1digitaltahoe

Thanks Mark didn't expect the detailed explanation, sounds like you are well versed on the subject! I cleaned up the wiring connecting both my conventional scanner and trunking scanner to the outdoor antenna and its a bit better. Have a much better outdoor antenna that is going up next, should clean it up a bit more. Got hooked on listening during 14 years in a tow truck here at the lake and kinda gave up on it when everything went to trunking. Retired now and bought a Whistler WS1065 so now I hear a more the I need to hear. Thanks for all the help and I will be listening. Bob

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention I have the same identical equipment in my mobile as CHP, Kenwood radio, Laird antenna, noise filters the whole works, and at times I still have difficulty copying transmissions, The system is just very poorly designed. I'm hoping the Mt. Rose site is approved soon. that will really improve the system.

I should mention if you don't already listen, you should plug in Cal-Fire. Good luck on your monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.