North Metro Drug Task Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodStrong

Let's say you're responsible for programming your dept's. DTR radios, and you are considering what to do regarding your local DTF, SWAT, Command, and/or other TG's deemed potentially sensitive. You have the following choices:

1. Full time in the clear.
2. Give the users the option of going encrypted as needed/when they desire.
3. Make the TG full time encrypted, and not allow the users to have a choice.

Will the fact that the TG info. is readily available on the net influence your decision? Will the fact that you know any scanner junkie (or criminal) out there can figure out who you are via the net make a difference?

There are certainly other factors and questions, but what is your answer to the above questions?

Again, will the fact that the TG info. is readily available on the net influence your decision? Will the fact that you know any scanner junkie (or criminal) out there can figure out who you are via the net make a difference?

Yes or no.

What is the correct answer, Mr./Mrs. programmer (not hobbyist)?

K4XB

Let's say you're responsible for programming your dept's. DTR radios, and you are considering what to do regarding your local DTF, SWAT, Command, and/or other TG's deemed potentially sensitive. You have the following choices:

1. Full time in the clear.
2. Give the users the option of going encrypted as needed/when they desire.
3. Make the TG full time encrypted, and not allow the users to have a choice.

Will the fact that the TG info. is readily available on the net influence your decision? Will the fact that you know any scanner junkie (or criminal) out there can figure out who you are via the net make a difference?

There are certainly other factors and questions, but what is your answer to the above questions?

Again, will the fact that the TG info. is readily available on the net influence your decision? Will the fact that you know any scanner junkie (or criminal) out there can figure out who you are via the net make a difference?

Yes or no.

What is the correct answer, Mr./Mrs. programmer (not hobbyist)?

I left that up to the end user - the officers or commanders responsible for use of sensitive TG's. I just presented the three options you mentioned for use of the TG.

K4XB
Real radios glow in the dark

utlchris

I look at it this way. From what I have seen these guys have the option to use encrypted talk groups. I have talked to them in the past about using them as well, but they continue to chose not to use the encrypted groups.

So they have the option to go to a secure talk group and if they chose not to, then I would guess they are not too concerned about it or care about it.

I don't really care to see them posted either but on the other hand know if the guys don't use the encrypted talk groups then so be it.

Thayne

Getting back to what I said about streaming communications on the net, I wasn't lying or exaggerating; but I can't name names, and realize if you ask a mayor or council member you will get a different answer than you will from a police chief or Captain. It will be interesting to see what happens in Denver when the media goes in the dark when the ESK is on permanently.

It might be a good time to have a bunch of new GRE's to sell at a premium--Or maybe the Mayor will give the OK to program up some "real" radios for them.

It is also amusing that nobody can or will say why they are a "Streamer" :eek:

Troop

might be headed down this road

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 114

K4XB

Getting back to what I said about streaming communications on the net, I wasn't lying or exaggerating; but I can't name names, and realize if you ask a mayor or council member you will get a different answer than you will from a police chief or Captain. It will be interesting to see what happens in Denver when the media goes in the dark when the ESK is on permanently.

It might be a good time to have a bunch of new GRE's to sell at a premium--Or maybe the Mayor will give the OK to program up some "real" radios for them.

I doubt the media goes in the dark. They will most likely pay for the cost of ESK feature code for the radios they use and then have their radios programmed by EEB. ESK is not so much about preventing media or scanner users from listening to the system as it is about preventing malicious transmissions into a system.

K4XB
Real radios glow in the dark

Scan-Denver

Just so we're all clear, no one is required or obligated to explain their actions as to why they stream on the net. But to respond to your repeated requests, I will take a stab at trying to satisfy your curiosity as to why I do. It is so that I can listen while at work static free, provide entertainment to others who enjoy it and who are outside the coverage area, and record at the same time so that if I or anyone else missed something that happened we can go back and listen to it later from the scancolorado.com web site.

rick521

Just so we're all clear, no one is required or obligated to explain their actions as to why they stream on the net. But to respond to your repeated requests, I will take a stab at trying to satisfy your curiosity as to why I do. It is so that I can listen while at work static free, provide entertainment to others who enjoy it and who are outside the coverage area, and record at the same time so that if I or anyone else missed something that happened we can go back and listen to it later from the scancolorado.com web site.

Nice reply Bill. Interesting to hear from a "Civilian" why you stream. Maybe Thayne might ask the Boulder County Sheriff's Office why they stream from their official web site. I know my Sheriff was willing to stream our traffic but a local civilian was already streaming our stuff. My Sheriff thinks it was good to let the public know what is going on when it is going on. We can also sight more times that we received help from scanner folks, then we have been harmed by monitoring radio traffic.

Thayne

All good answers, Bill. I apologize if I came off too overbearing; no offense was intended. :)

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
In the sub subject of streaming radio feeds the major cable broadband players are in the process of trialing bandwidth caps/restrictions for non-commercial (residential) accounts with hefty overage fees.

This could put a crimp on the number of streaming feeds by hobbyists out there if companies such as Time/Warner, COX and Comcast do adopt this strategy.

Phil.

Scan-Denver

Hmmm, not like they aren't getting enough already for the service !

Guess I'm lucky that I have business class internet, not residential.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hey guys, this has diverged off topic.

Don't worry, I'm keeping a close eye on these issues... and I appreciate everyone's feedback and responses to this thread.

I've instructed the Colorado admins to maintain the status quo - we have an official policy, but I provide leeway to the admins to implement that. But, don't forget RadioReference's official position on this issue.

Thanks guys... closing....

Status
Not open for further replies.