North Shore SAR (BC)

mryvr

Anyone have the details on North Shore Search and Rescue DMR system? I figure that they will be in their busy season pretty soon. There was a recent Knowledge Network series on their work and was pretty interesting.

Their old analog setup was pretty good and I understand the DMR hardware has allowed for better coverage, but I want to hear them again.

Anyone?

BC_Scan

They use exclusively VHF all the same freqs as before. One channel is DMR, one TG for voice and other for DATA (tracking) for which they never use any longer since the main leader passed away years ago. They rarely use the DMR for any reason you mention.

That being said, in the provinces eighty SAR groups they still have the most extensive system you can find out there (range wise) and Mutual Aid with other groups. I know, as I have four scanners dedicated to all their channels on at any given time including DMR and I can't recall the last time they said switch to digital.

Muffin

Any idea what the tone is for the Lion's Bay SAR team on Anvil Island? I believe the frequency is 152.600

wildcoast

Also curious about local SAR channels: I'm guessing the various SAR groups (North Shore, Lions Bay, Squamish, Whistler, etc) would be licensed for and using different frequencies?

Cognomen

TAFL only shows which freqs are licensed by the group. This includes their own freqs, as well as all of the freqs they use for mutual aid. You'll find that most of the SAR groups have all of the other nearby SAR groups' freqs in their radios.

Jaydone

I found a PDF from BC Search and Rescue Association (BCSARA) that lists all of the repeaters and their inputs. There are only 3 output frequencies, but different inputs for each repeater.

On the document, the North Shore Rescue frequencies are listed under Bank 3 SW-WEST. #5-11

The PEP Sar frequencies (#1-4) are not specifically for North Shore Rescue but are used province-wide, especially by smaller SAR groups.
They include PEP SAR 1, PEP SAR 2, PEP CORD (Coordination), and PEP EP 1 (Emergency Program).

The last frequency on the list (#16) is the nationwide frequency. This is used for multi-SAR group callouts, especially Coast Guard.

Please let me know if you can confirm any of these! I am up in Whistler and have not been able to hear anything here.
Cheers
Jayden

Attachments

• BCSARA-REGIONAL-FREQUENCIES-Rev-3i (1).pdf
    480.4 KB · Views: 65

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I found a PDF from BC Search and Rescue Association (BCSARA) that lists all of the repeaters and their inputs. There are only 3 output frequencies, but different inputs for each repeater.

On the document, the North Shore Rescue frequencies are listed under Bank 3 SW-WEST. #5-11

The PEP Sar frequencies (#1-4) are not specifically for North Shore Rescue but are used province-wide, especially by smaller SAR groups.
They include PEP SAR 1, PEP SAR 2, PEP CORD (Coordination), and PEP EP 1 (Emergency Program).

The last frequency on the list (#16) is the nationwide frequency. This is used for multi-SAR group callouts, especially Coast Guard.

Please let me know if you can confirm any of these! I am up in Whistler and have not been able to hear anything here.
Cheers
Jayden
Jayden that was an excellent post certainly helps to monitor those agencies. Quite the find thanks for submitting.

XVCham

Another radio dude
The PDF file is very helpful. In addition, NS SAR appears to use Seymour repeater very frequently. But I believe this is more location dependent.

Coquitlam SAR uses NXDN mixed mode system on Mariner and Pitt Meadow repeaters. When deployed they utilize "Mariner Digital" (Frequency listed on the .pdf file) and sometimes crews can be heard using analog on the same channel (mixed mode or incorrect configuration on user-end).

So far I managed to fish out TG: 100 and RAN: 1 for the repeater. It's active every Tuesday (training). Location data is also sent through the repeater.