north star borough

Status
Not open for further replies.

trip236

hey folks,
What i'm hoping to find is the freqs. for the area,i've got a pro 2096 and i have down loaded some freqs. from WIN 96 but i made some changes and i could at on time pick up the tok & delta troopers and also the cantwell & healy troopers but somewhere down the line i lost some freqs. also is it possable to get the tac. freqs. for area fire.
thanks

ftjja1

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Tripp -- good to see another FNSB scanner. I'm new to it myself, but using the FCC database search was (hopefully) able to program the various fire talkgroups who are on ALMR. I'm at work now, but when I get home, I'll send you the freqs and talkgroup IDs I've got in my scanner. Interesting last night during the thunderstorms, there was a lightning strike on Old Murphy Dome Road that Steese FD responded to.

Out of curiosity, are you having problems with strong transmissions bleeding over into other channels? I'm in downtown Fbks, and I get a lot of annoying false hits on the conventional freqs -- mostly from the NOAA weather radio, but also KTVF11, and sometimes KJNP.

Anyhow, good to hear from you. I've had the most luck in finding frequencies using the RR listings (especially for ALMR talkgroups) and the FCC license database located at http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp -- if you click on "advanced search" and then geosearch, you can find all the licensed broadcasting sites in the FNSB. I'll drop you a line later with the ALMR Fire Tac freqs and TGIDs.

-Justin

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Most of the Public Safety talkgroups from ALMR are already in the database from this website. Here's the direct link: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2447

Recently the Fairbanks Airport PD/Fire and the two main correctional centers were moved to new conventional frequencies to free up more frequencies for the ALMR trunked system. The new frequencies are also in the database.

Like I mentioned earlier on another thread, most of the stuff available to monitor in FNSB is already submitted to the database on this website. But there's always room to add more or corrections, so if you guys know of frequencies or talkgroups that are not identified in the database here, please submit them or at least post them in this forum and someone else can submit them.

A little side note of how they now dispatch the Fire incidents in ALMR that you guys might know already is that they're put in the initial dispatch on the particular's FD talkgroup that's responding to the incident and then they'll switch one of the TAC channels available from a "pool".

gregmoss

I don't see any of the anchorage public safety ops, such as APD, AFD, changing too p-25 communications as mentioned years ago. I've heard mat-su police, fire, using p-25 communications as well as others but not anchorage. Also want happen with the 700mhz being used for p-25 communication for public safety? Just abit curious.

Thanks,
greg..

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Well, that's kind of why this thread is mainly about FNSB (Fairbanks-North Star Borough).

In any case, I don't think Anchorage has done the transition to AWARN/ALMR yet, so all the stuff that's currently in the database should still be valid.

trip236

fnsb

hi Guys
well i'm still looking for some of the freqs. that i used to have but can't locate some of them.
I do catch healy & cantwell troopers some i am still looking for the tok & delta freqs.
I've tried to down load for the R.R. site but I must have a wrong setting because i get nothing and the channels i do have i entered manually and do get alot of traffic but alot of milatary & D.O.T with some transit.
I have the pro 2096 with the comp cable to download so any help as to programming would help.
THANKS

ftjja1

Premium Subscriber
Hi Trip,

Sorry I didn't follow through on getting back to you before.

I don't know specifically how the Pro2096 is programmed, because I use a BCD996T, but the way (I think) it works for me is as follows:

First you program a system that's set up as a Motorola TypeII/P25 type format. Within that system, you set up different sites (I think of each site as being a certain transmitter...so I have one site named "Ester Dome", "Birch Hill," "Eielson," etc.) You can find a list of these sites at http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2447 -- the FNSB ones are between 201 and 222.

Now, on the 996T, all I have to do for each site is look at the list I linked above, program in the control channels for that site, and set the base frequency to 136.00 and a step of 12.5kHz. Then, I set my scanner to "ID Search," and it picks up transmissions All of the transmissions in the P25 system have a talkgroup ID assigned to it, which can be found on that link above. My software logs the IDs of all the talkgroups that pop up, and then I assign names to them. So, If I'm scanning, and a transmission with an ID of "23102" comes up on the Birch Hill site, that's the Fbks Police Dispatch. I believe that the data sent on the control channel at the beginning of the transmission includes the frequency the comm is being assigned to, and my 996 then hops over to that frequency to listen in. So, getting back to your original post, Fairbanks fire dispatch's talkgroup is 23416, Tac2 is 23417 and Tac 3 is 23418.

Again, I am really new to this myself and so I could be completely wrong in my explanation, so if I am, hopefully someone can correct me so I can get myself fixed up :). Also, I don't know anything about the Pro2096, and they mention in that page I linked to above about a Pro96 multitable setting for P25 systems, so I don't know if that makes a difference for you. But it sounds like, to my ignorant ear at least, that maybe you have the right frequencies programmed, but not the right talkgroups. I've never caught Healy or Tok on the ALMR system, but at least in downtown Fbks, I most often hear fire dispatch, Ft WW, AST, FPD, the MACS bus and the FNSB Park Rangers. I know UAF PD is on a conventional system.

Anyhow, I hope this helps some rather than making things more difficult -- digital scanning is a huge learning curve (for me at least) -- VERY different from the shortwave DXing I'm used to!

hi Guys
well i'm still looking for some of the freqs. that i used to have but can't locate some of them.
I do catch healy & cantwell troopers some i am still looking for the tok & delta freqs.
I've tried to down load for the R.R. site but I must have a wrong setting because i get nothing and the channels i do have i entered manually and do get alot of traffic but alot of milatary & D.O.T with some transit.
I have the pro 2096 with the comp cable to download so any help as to programming would help.
THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.