North Tonawanda NY police frequency queation

Major146

I am new to scanning and am still waiting for my new scanner. I have searched but could not find the dispatch frequency for the North Tonawanda Police & fire in Niagara County New York. Can someone provide me with this info or direct me to where I can find it?

Major146

Thanks for the info. I got coming a Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld TrunkTracker V
A friend of mine that is a HAM suggested this one and is going to help me program it in.

lkas

Thanks for the info. I got coming a Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld TrunkTracker V
A friend of mine that is a HAM suggested this one and is going to help me program it in.
Hopefully that scanner will work for you. Like i mentioned Niagara county is a simulcast system and that scanner from what i read does not due to well with simulcast. Like anything with radios everyone's situation is different. If it does not work well i have the sds-100 which is designed for simulcast. I have no problem picking up niagara cty system.

wtp

i have the 325 and my county is 700 digital simulcast.
the radio works great almost across the county...except at my house.
it drops out a bit. the best place is in the very corner of an aluminium window.
it probably cuts out other towers.
if you get it and have problems, try every spot in the house.

Major146

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the SDS but the reviews were not all that impressive and it was about $200 more than the 325. I am the kind of person that is not afraid to spend a little extra to get the proper item, I go along with the saying "buy once, cry once". Once I get it and start trying to program it will the problem you mentioned manifest itself quickly or be too subtle for a novice like me to recognize? Are you in the Western NY area?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the SDS but the reviews were not all that impressive

People who have issues complain. People who are happy don't usually comment.

I really hope the 325P2 works for you. It is a great scanner; I have one and I love it, BUT ... it will not work on the Monroe/Ontario P25 system at all at my house. Won't even lock onto the control channel.

The issue is simulcast distortion. The SDS100 and SDS200 are the only *scanners that will work well on a simulcast system. You may win "The Simulcast Lottery" and your 325 will work OK, and I hope you do. Unfortunately, just as with other lotteries, a few win but most do not.

With that said, it will all depend on your location and the specific system you are trying to listen to. What works or doesn't work for me in Monroe County has no direct correlation to you trying to listen to the Niagara County system. But good luck; the odds are against you.

*There are other products available that will also handle simulcast distortion but they aren't scanners in the traditional sense.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
SDS200 fixed all my simulcast issues, just saying. I’m a newb, but have read a ton. Huge difference from my 996P2.

lkas

i have the sds-100 for 18 months now and it is great. I have no issues picking up Niagara, Genesee/orleans, Chautauqua counties which are all on simulcast. I can also pick up OPP from canada and every dept in Erie county. I am sure my antenna has something to do with this but overall it works great. The only dept i can not get is Cattarugus county p25 system. Their analog fire channel comes in strong but nothing on the P25 system

k2hz

Database Admin
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the SDS but the reviews were not all that impressive and it was about $200 more than the 325. I am the kind of person that is not afraid to spend a little extra to get the proper item, I go along with the saying "buy once, cry once". Once I get it and start trying to program it will the problem you mentioned manifest itself quickly or be too subtle for a novice like me to recognize? Are you in the Western NY area?
The simulcast issue all depends on your location. If you are lucky, no problem, but reception can change with leaves off the trees and snow on the ground. It all depends on if you are getting signals from multiple towers at the location. If you are very near a tower usually no problem.

The SDS100/200 do have other issues although they are great for listening to your local P25 simulcast system. I have a 100 and it works great on the Monroe system here in Rochester but I have a 436 and 536 for non-P25 stuff. If you need to spend the SDS range $$$ to get reliable reception of your P25 system it is better to consider the Unication units.

Major146

My distance from the town antenna is about 1/2 mile. From what you all have said I shouldn't have any problems getting a signal. I also have an antenna in my attic with a cable running down to my main floor that I used for my old scanner. It will probably be a miss match for the frequencies I am now trying to listen too but I can try it and hope for the best.

k2hz

Database Admin
My distance from the town antenna is about 1/2 mile. From what you all have said I shouldn't have any problems getting a signal. I also have an antenna in my attic with a cable running down to my main floor that I used for my old scanner. It will probably be a miss match for the frequencies I am now trying to listen too but I can try it and hope for the best.
An inefficient antenna is actually an advantage since you only want to pick up the nearby tower. If there is still a problem, switching on the attenuator may help. If the scanner is only hearing the signal from one tower it can handle it. Once it gets a mix of out of phase signals from multiple towers the detector circuit in scanners not designed for P25 LSM simulcast can't decode it properly and you get garbled or no reception.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
To the original poster, I grew up in Pennsylvania but I actually lived in New York state in Nassau and Suffolk County from 1971 to 1985, for about a year I lived in Erie County, New York on Grand Island which is right in between Niagara Falls USA and Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada. Irrelevant to the discussion here but I'm familiar with your area anyway, even though it was a different radio system LOL.

Bottom line, no getting around it, this is a simulcast system, I was going to post the towers but I see someone else is already done that. What you have is one site called simulcast and then a bunch of sub sites or towers that simultaneously broadcast what your radio is calling for and that's where you get simulcast distortion. The only site you can manipulate in the radio is called simulcast you can't turn the other towers on and off. You can try attenuating the signal or a desensitized antenna or paper clip so as to try to isolate transmissions from just one tower which is very hard to do.

The SDS radios handle simulcast, they have an SDR chip. All the other Uniden radios are not simulcast capable which doesn't mean they may not work in some locations but as you move around in between the towers you will miss transmissions or have broken or clipped transmissions, it's pretty cut and dry and has been covered here. It's not only location but a fair amount of luck also. Some people don't mind missed transmissions or broken transmissions and your location might work out just fine depending on where you are in the county in relation to the cluster of towers.

A good suggestion I could make is unpack the radio very carefully and slowly. Hopefully, you purchased from a reputable vendor and you have a 30-day money back guarantee. There's nothing wrong with your radio if it doesn't handle simulcast adequately other than it is the wrong radio so you may be charged a restocking fee if you return it or maybe not, if you exchange it for the SDS 100.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.(y)

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
From what you all have said I shouldn't have any problems getting a signal.

The problem with simulcast isn't "getting a signal", it's getting signals from several towers. They are slightly out of phase (due to differences in distance) and a 'regular' scanner cannot handle that. You might get lucky and be close enough to that one tower that the other signals are drowned out, and in that case your 325 should work OK.

Let us know how you make out.

Major146

It came today but I have only had enough time to charge the batteries and just glance at the user guide. I hope to get to work on it over the weekend.

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
i have the sds-100 for 18 months now and it is great. I have no issues picking up Niagara, Genesee/orleans, Chautauqua counties which are all on simulcast. I can also pick up OPP from canada and every dept in Erie county. I am sure my antenna has something to do with this but overall it works great. The only dept i can not get is Cattarugus county p25 system. Their analog fire channel comes in strong but nothing on the P25 system
What antenna are you using? Is the antenna a base or portable whip?

Major146

The simulcast issue all depends on your location. If you are lucky, no problem, but reception can change with leaves off the trees and snow on the ground. It all depends on if you are getting signals from multiple towers at the location. If you are very near a tower usually no problem.

The SDS100/200 do have other issues although they are great for listening to your local P25 simulcast system. I have a 100 and it works great on the Monroe system here in Rochester but I have a 436 and 536 for non-P25 stuff. If you need to spend the SDS range $$$ to get reliable reception of your P25 system it is better to consider the Unication units.

I am still having trouble understanding what is being said on my scanner. Is this what you are talking about when you say distortion. If the place I purchased my BCD325 from would let me trade it in for a SDS100/200 would the sound be clearer or not?