north tower VS south tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

perry_kansas

Feed Provider
sometimes you can hear the dispatcher talking to somebody but you can't hear the officer talking back and this is because they are on a different tower I hear them make reference to north or south tower and they do this because of reception problems in different parts of the county, most of the time everybody is on the same tower but my question is how can I pick up that other tower?? I mean if dispatch can hear them but I can't that really doesn't make sense so is there another freq that I can put in to hear the other tower??

firefive76

Maybe you are too far from the other tower to pick it up, or it may be on a different frequency. It could be that the officer is using talkaround if they are close to dispatch as well. What agency are you referring to?

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
And, many times the satellite towers are lower powered and are just intended to get the signal in to the dispatch center. As 576 said, unless you are close or you put up a real awesome tower you won't be able to pick them up.

crash1dog

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to pick up the south tower from Perry. You will not pick up the North tower with a handheld scanner from Perry.

Get at least a 40' tower with a decent antenna and you will be able to pick up the north tower from there.

The output frequency is the same on both firecom and sheriff for all 3 sites. Nothing else to program to get it, just need to get the antenna in the air.

perry_kansas

Feed Provider
You should be able to pick up the south tower from Perry. You will not pick up the North tower with a handheld scanner from Perry.

Get at least a 40' tower with a decent antenna and you will be able to pick up the north tower from there.

The output frequency is the same on both firecom and sheriff for all 3 sites. Nothing else to program to get it, just need to get the antenna in the air.

Now that I think about it I might have a 40 foot tower out in my shed, I will go have a look tomorrow when the suns up!! LMAO.

Thanks for the info!!! ;)

crash1dog

Premium Subscriber
Now that I think about it I might have a 40 foot tower out in my shed, I will go have a look tomorrow when the suns up!! LMAO.

Thanks for the info!!! ;)
That is usually the problem... Not to mention city codes. The County allows one tower up to 70' with out a special use permit if I remember correctly.
Be aware that there are also spot sheriff repeaters in Meriden and McLouth and you will not hear LOE portable TX from either city PD unit to dispatch without a good antenna setup.

n0lqt

That is usually the problem... Not to mention city codes. The County allows one tower up to 70' with out a special use permit if I remember correctly....

The city needs to find out about PRB-1 from the FCC and confirmed in the 10th Federal Court of Appeals (the one for Kansas). It basically preempts cities, counties, and state government from restricting radio transmitting tower and antenna installations except for safety (i.e., where would it fall and on what) reasons. It provides that the FCC alone has jurisdiction. Unfortunately, they didn't go quite far enough to also prohibit home owners associations and restrictive covenants from controlling towers and antennas.

Get your ham license and tell the city to take a hike. You CAN have a tower beside your home without having to get city "approval" as long as it is not for commercial purposes and meets appropriate national electrical codes and safety requirements.

I have an 86 foot tower right next to my house. I got the same "Do you have a permit to install that?" question when I started putting mine up several years ago as we had a city planner that totally disliked "ugly antennas marring the view" including TV and Satellite antennas. He thought everybody should have cable TV and even those wires should be underground. He also thought Ham Radio and "CB'ers" were one and the same thing.

NR0W

Might have differce tones on the repeaters if you tones set in your scanner. They have a couple of repeaters here in ottawa county run them on difference tones same freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.