northeast cmed/region 3 info

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmed325

Premium Subscriber
what we now know as northeast cmed(central medical emergency direction) is actually a combination of two cmed centers. What was once known as north shore cmed located at the old union hospital combined with merrimack valley cmed (still located at the lawrence general hospital) now known as northeast cmed, is one of 5 cmed centers in massachusetts. We currently operate off 13 tower sites,9 uhf,4 vhf. Region 3 covers all of merrimack valley and all of the northshore of boston, basically from the NH border to Chelsea,Westford to Rockport. We currently use the same basic 10 uhf med channels for the valley and north shore; the only difference being the p.l.numbers,,,156.7 for merrimack valley,and 162.2 for the north shore,we run our 4 vhf towers csq. If you want to monitor the ambulance traffic, you have to monitor both transmit and recieve frequencies(similar to the way taxi cabs operate). The bad thing about this is the fact the units walk all over each other when trying to contact us. Besides our radio equipment we have voip and voip patch capabilities for interop when needed,which works very well. All 5 cmed centers are tied in over this system. We also have an addl radio with the fire dist 5/6/15, the nemlec west, and area wide tac for interop. Currently being installed is a uhf mutual aid frequency that all the ambulance services will have in their console for communications directly with us (I'll get it for you). The current 10 uhf channels will be doubled soon to give us our own banks to use to help with co-channel problems currently being experienced. Some of our many functions also include the dispatching and tracking of both the lawrence and lowell medic units,p-1 and p-100 which run out of saints mem hosp in lowell. They are dispatched by trinity, they sign on with us, and we track them until they're back in service. P-1000 is activated for special events, etc. We are called directly by patriot for als responses in their coverage area. All the fire depts also call us directly for als responses in merrimack valley,except for lowell.p-2 and p-200 which run out of lawrence general hospital. They cover the general Lawrence area and are dispatched by us directly. P-2000 is activated for special events, etc. We also handle requests for med control,med flight requests,and the region 3 hospital diversion system,as well as being part of the region mci trailer,and the ambulance mutual aid running card system. Cmed is staffed by two operators 1st and 2nd shift mon thru friday, and with only one person nights,weekends and some holidays. We did close to 90,000 calls for 2010 and our call volume has been increasing by appx 7% per year. We are looking at funding for future improvements to our communications etc.

N1BHH

what we now know as northeast cmed(central medical emergency direction) is actually a combination of two cmed centers. What was once known as north shore cmed located at the old union hospital combined with merrimack valley cmed (still located at the lawrence general hospital) now known as northeast cmed, is one of 5 cmed centers in massachusetts. We currently operate off 13 tower sites,9 uhf,4 vhf. Region 3 covers all of merrimack valley and all of the northshore of boston, basically from the NH border to Chelsea,Westford to Rockport. We currently use the same basic 10 uhf med channels for the valley and north shore; the only difference being the p.l.numbers,,,156.7 for merrimack valley,and 162.2 for the north shore,we run our 4 vhf towers csq. If you want to monitor the ambulance traffic, you have to monitor both transmit and recieve frequencies(similar to the way taxi cabs operate). The bad thing about this is the fact the units walk all over each other when trying to contact us. Besides our radio equipment we have voip and voip patch capabilities for interop when needed,which works very well. All 5 cmed centers are tied in over this system. We also have an addl radio with the fire dist 5/6/15, the nemlec west, and area wide tac for interop. Currently being installed is a uhf mutual aid frequency that all the ambulance services will have in their console for communications directly with us (I'll get it for you). The current 10 uhf channels will be doubled soon to give us our own banks to use to help with co-channel problems currently being experienced. Some of our many functions also include the dispatching and tracking of both the lawrence and lowell medic units,p-1 and p-100 which run out of saints mem hosp in lowell. They are dispatched by trinity, they sign on with us, and we track them until they're back in service. P-1000 is activated for special events, etc. We are called directly by patriot for als responses in their coverage area. All the fire depts also call us directly for als responses in merrimack valley,except for lowell.p-2 and p-200 which run out of lawrence general hospital. They cover the general Lawrence area and are dispatched by us directly. P-2000 is activated for special events, etc. We also handle requests for med control,med flight requests,and the region 3 hospital diversion system,as well as being part of the region mci trailer,and the ambulance mutual aid running card system. Cmed is staffed by two operators 1st and 2nd shift mon thru friday, and with only one person nights,weekends and some holidays. We did close to 90,000 calls for 2010 and our call volume has been increasing by appx 7% per year. We are looking at funding for future improvements to our communications etc.

This is awfully hard to read without proper Capitalization, syntax, composition and paragraph structure. I have no clue where a sentence begins and ends.

jack103

Premium Subscriber
Some people would ***** if you hung them with a new rope,Thanks for the info will be looking forward to more info in the future. If I wanted a grammar lesson I would go back to jr high.

Mjg0519

Just curious, where was the "old union hospital"? North Shore Medical Center's Union Hospital in Lynn is still very much around. Are you speaking of the old Lynn City Hospital, which closed in the early 90's?

KB1NVI

I noticed that you guys also recently applied for licenses on the new med channels as well as two additional sites, one in Gloucester and one in Tyngsborough. Unfortunately, it looks like the application was return on 1/14, hopefully its just a clerical issue that can be resolved quickly.

When they switch to the expanded med channels, do you know if they are going to use different calling channels for the adjacent regions. The biggest issue I have right now is not being able to hear you answer me on MED 4 due to Boston CMED walking on you.

I've always thought it was dumb not to have the calling channel repeated since I often can't even hear units one town over calling you.

Last edited:

cmed325

Premium Subscriber
the channel assignments are still being worked out,,i know we will only have 1 p.l.number not 2,,we currently use med 5/7/1 on the northshore,,and med 6/8/1 on the valley,,we use med 9 for communicating with both the lawrence and lowell medic units.,in reply to the location of the former north shore cmed,i thought it may have been in the basement of the union hosp?correct me if im wrong here.(before my time,lol)

cmed325

Premium Subscriber
we do have 2 addl sites weve had for a while,the gloucester site was moved,it is now at a cell tower off 128,,the tyngsborough tower was added to improve communications in the dunstable/tyngsboro area of our region.(i believe its the same tower the pd/fd are on.)

kb1szz

Thanks for the post!

I was an operator for North Shore C-MED from 1983 until 1988 (Operator 605). When it opened in 1981, it was considered to be state-of-the-art. The people who started this center knew what they were doing and were excellent teachers.

Callsign: KNCZ-208 (which is now an EMS "silent key") We were EMS Region VI for Massachusetts. We ran VHF (155.340) primarily off our Danvers State Hospital tower, and 155.280 off the Union Hospital tower. Four UHF towers covered most of the area.

havmedic26

Premium Subscriber
The new frequency

I had no problem reading your post and I thank you for your time and effort. I do however question the accuracy of some of the information, but that is not really all that important, unless someone is having trouble getting through and doesn't understand why. Then I would be glad to help out. I have spend a very lot of time in Northeast CMED over the years, with one of my closest friends officer Eric when he used to be SGT Eric at Hospital security, and another of my closest friends, possibly the greatest cmed operator ever, Mike Twomey - silent key but never ever ever forgotten. Not a week goes by that I don' t talk about him. Anyway, I was looking for that "new" frequency? The one for interop between ambulance companies? But if you know what the new cmed frequencies are going to be, that would great also, but I specifically need the new interop frequency, and are the calling it med 10-2? my email is winchesterfire@aol.com

ecps92

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Someone was talking on 461.70 or 464.20 about that new Essex County channel. Probably 462.9875. I think he called it "Med 10-2". Word is that very few units have the new channel at this time - mostly State Ambulance Task Force units from Cataldo Ambulance Service (if I understood correctly)..

I have had 462.9875 in my scanner for a couple of months. Have not heard anyhting on it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.