Northeast Georgia Regional Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is likely that the Hall County system will continue to be expanded, and bring other counties online (and also encrypted).

Talks are on right now to get federal funding for a regional system to include: Lumpkin, White, Banks, and Jackson counties. Dawson county is also considering this, with Hall County being the central link. Forsyth already has an 800 APCO 25 system (unencrypted), and Gwinnett is about to have theirs online. Hall's is working adequately, but is encrypted.

Again, these are just talks between system admins and are not really public knowledge to many yet. In likelihood, it will take time and money for this to happen. However, the federal government is talking about supplying some of the money ("interoperability" grants) and the local jurisdictions approached are not keen on turning down the amount of money that has been offered so far.

The big question will come down to system control. White County has been loaned 8 radios programmed on Hall County's system so that they can test the system out (remember that one of Hall's sites is actually in White County on Wauka Mountain). While it will be very expensive, and located in some hilly terrain, I doubt they will turn down "free money." But what control over the system will they have? Not as much as they'd like, but it isn't a big enough issue that I think they'd say no - ask David Murphy with White County 911/EMA (remember him from Jackson County?). He's a smart guy, and is keenly involved in these events.

In other news, white county is trying out a new repeater to cover the county on 154.295. You will hear it patched to (and has the same input frequency as) the current EMS/Fire repeater on 155.715.

Thoughts, comments? Please carry on!

Premium Subscriber
This story is 100% true ,as I reported a couple months ago. Jackson county wants in but funding is the ONLY hold up as all BOC commissioners have been briefed and concur with the switch if the $$$ comes through. The other name linked is Barrow county, I also heard White county is interested, Banks county has a year to spend a federal communication grant but they where talking about building 3 more towers and buying Kenwood radios... they won't have the ability to pull the trigger.
About 2 years ago Madison county had discussed a possible "regional" system with Athens Clarke but it never went anywhere.
From what I know Jackson will more then likely pull the trigger first followed by Barrow, White might also join in. I would have to say the rest will join but it's at least 5 years away.
Almost forgot.... Jackson wants ALL talk groups encrypted, though they would still page out Fire on 154.220, I was told they would dispatch there med units on the encrypted system though, not good news for north Georgia scanning !

Last edited:

N8IAA

Why would Jackson want to encrypt everything? Nothing goes on up there but traffic stops:)) What a joke just to get federal money. Ol' P.T. Barnum said it a long time ago: "A sucker is born every minute". Wait until all these counties start feeling the budget crunch from gasoline prices, and they have to try to find a way to keep FD and PD out on the road doing what they do to keep us safe. Everyone have a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend!
Larry
vote NO on the next SPLOST tax

Last edited:

Premium Subscriber
Jackson's encryption ideas are 1 part law enforcement and 1 part wanting to follow in Hall counties foot steps. The saving grace to date is that the local Fire Departments are not all together convinced that they want any part of 800 mhz digital, at least some one has some common sense around Jackson county !

Status
Not open for further replies.