Northeast milcomms

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebATC

Hi,

I just got my Pro-164 the other day. I have been scanning like crazy through the Mil band. I have caught 3 ZTL frequencies (354.0, 353.925, 346.3 and 307.9). I have the frequencies 319.7 and 276.5 programmed in. Are there any more frequencies I am missing?

BTW, I'm in Union County, Blairsville. Northeast Georgia.

Caleb

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Hi,

I just got my Pro-164 the other day. I have been scanning like crazy through the Mil band. I have caught 3 ZTL frequencies (354.0, 353.925, 346.3 and 307.9). I have the frequencies 319.7 and 276.5 programmed in. Are there any more frequencies I am missing?

BTW, I'm in Union County, Blairsville. Northeast Georgia.

Caleb
Space Shuttle uses 270.0, 270.9, 271.9 during launch. I pick them up in southeast VA around 4-6 minutes after launch.

SCPD

QRT
I live down in White county (Helen) and have been trying for sometime to find any Military traffic. Every now and again I will get a little something but never enough to find anything consistent. I have a BCT-15 and a very large antenna in my attic. I can listen to counties 75 miles away but cant catch a C-130 flying by or a Blackhawk dropping Rangers on Mt.Yonah..

CalebATC

I live down in White county (Helen) and have been trying for sometime to find any Military traffic. Every now and again I will get a little something but never enough to find anything consistent. I have a BCT-15 and a very large antenna in my attic. I can listen to counties 75 miles away but cant catch a C-130 flying by or a Blackhawk dropping Rangers on Mt.Yonah..

Ok, well, the mountains don't help either :)

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hey don't feel bad I get almost 0 milair 99% of the time(every once in a while I'll get the 130th airlift out of Charleston WV) and have pined for a long time to hear alot of activity......

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One of the best sources - if not the best source - for finding out what is listenable in your area (minus the usual search and pounce method) are the VFR/IFR FLIP supplements. Unfortunately a couple of years back, the Feds decided to make them available only to people with a specific 'need' (bullxxxx).

However, someone has posted them on a public website, and they look to be pretty current. Go to the Aircraft forum and download this data from the website mentioned in the VFR/IFR thread. Who knows how long this will last- and it's best if you try this on a hi speed line. You will be there a LONG time on a putrid dialup

73 Mike

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Even though Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world, with the Dems shutting down NAS Atlanta & the old 116TFW, the only thing left is the 94th AW and all they do is lots of training flights. I'm surprised that up there you can't get the Snowbird MOA.

CalebATC

One of the best sources - if not the best source - for finding out what is listenable in your area (minus the usual search and pounce method) are the VFR/IFR FLIP supplements. Unfortunately a couple of years back, the Feds decided to make them available only to people with a specific 'need' (bullxxxx).

However, someone has posted them on a public website, and they look to be pretty current. Go to the Aircraft forum and download this data from the website mentioned in the VFR/IFR thread. Who knows how long this will last- and it's best if you try this on a hi speed line. You will be there a LONG time on a putrid dialup

73 Mike

EDIT: Got it! Thanks!

Last edited:

CalebATC

Even though Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world, with the Dems shutting down NAS Atlanta & the old 116TFW, the only thing left is the 94th AW and all they do is lots of training flights. I'm surprised that up there you can't get the Snowbird MOA.

Yeah, the time I decided to not bring up my flightbag is when I need it!!!!! lol

I just got on my laptop and went to Skyvector.com (A Google Earth of section, low, high, and terminal charts) and yes, that is the Snowbird MOA. I'm right on the Harris (HRS) VORTAC, literly, I can see it and hear the HIWAS! Milaircomms says the ZTL ARTCC frequencies I am getting crystal clear from my house in GA are at Foothills VORTAC, but I think they are actually at Harris.

Do you have any frequencies from Snowbird MOA??

Also, I have seen ALOT of Army activity in the A-685 training area. For example, I went to the USFS fish hatchery one day (where they do most of the training) and there was a helicopter with a really long rope hovering over some woods, and about 100 Army guys in camo, face painted and everything! I see stuff there all the time, next time I will pull out the handy dandy Sig Stalker II and see what I can find.

CalebATC

73 Mike

Being a stuent pilot, and playing alot of Flight Sim, I know TONS of pilots! I know about 5 Naval Aviators and a person in the Blue Angels! I know these people really good, and I will try to get these from them. I will get back to you on this.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
It's one of those hit and miss things. Probably no one is "fighting" up there right now. I would keep an ear out during the weekend when the warriors are playing fighter jock.

rmiller818

Charts list it as "intermittent between 800-2100 by NOTAM" A NOTAM would be issued when it is to become active so you would just have to check those.

I just checked and there were none for Snowbird.

CalebATC

Charts list it as "intermittent between 800-2100 by NOTAM" A NOTAM would be issued when it is to become active so you would just have to check those.

I just checked and there were none for Snowbird.

That's a pretty wide variety of times, I dobt Blairsville will have a notam, bit I will check Jackson.

rmiller818

It wouldn't be a local NOTAM for a specific airport, these would be Center NOTAMs so you need to look under Atlanta Center (ZTL).

CalebATC

It wouldn't be a local NOTAM for a specific airport, these would be Center NOTAMs so you need to look under Atlanta Center (ZTL).

Roger, AOPA is a little " scattered" in the mobile version, the FAA one is good though, thanks for the heads up, traveling back to Florida today, hopefully I will hear something from Dobbins or Macdill.

Status
Not open for further replies.