Northeast TN - Washington & Sullivan Counties

jtipton1025

I’m wanting to purchase a scanner. What’s left to listen to in NE Tennessee (Washington and Sullivan County)? I read previously that JCFD was unavailable, is that still the case? Is there anything left that’s not encrypted outside of EMS? Also, is my area simulcast? Debating between the SDS100 or the BCD436. Would either work for those counties?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

K2NWC

Premium Subscriber
(Look under MODE e or E means encrypted)

It looks like Washington County fire and ems is not encrypted but police and sheriff is encrypted. Not in that area to verify.
This is accurate. Local law enforcement is full-time encrypted, as well as the Johnson City Transit...
Tennessee Highway Patrol's primary talkgroup is in the clear for this district, as well as fire and EMS.

K2NWC

Premium Subscriber
I’m wanting to purchase a scanner. What’s left to listen to in NE Tennessee (Washington and Sullivan County)? I read previously that JCFD was unavailable, is that still the case? Is there anything left that’s not encrypted outside of EMS? Also, is my area simulcast? Debating between the SDS100 or the BCD436. Would either work for those counties?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Washington County does use simulcast. I have the BCD436 (SDS line wasn't available when I purchased) and it seems to be okay. I have never used the SDS range, so can't offer a direct comparison. I've heard that the SDS does a better job with tracking simulcast sites and would like recommend you go that direction. That said, consider how much of Washington County is encrypted and determine if the proverbial juice is worth the squeeze in terms of financial investment. I bought my 436 when local law was in the clear and have not upgraded because there is so much less relevant/meaningful traffic available now.